Audio By Carbonatix
The family of former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta is accusing the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) of abusing its administrative powers and violating Mr. Ofori-Atta’s fundamental human rights in an ongoing investigation.
They are demanding the immediate withdrawal of an INTERPOL Red Notice issued against him and have submitted formal requests to the National Central Bureau and the Commission for the Control of INTERPOL’s Files (CCF) for its deletion.
The family, per a press release issued on its behalf by legal counsel Frank Davies, alleged that the OSP deliberately manipulated evidence and circumvented judicial protocols to procure an arrest warrant dated February 11, 2025, charging Mr. Ofori-Atta with “using public office for private profit.”
“There is no charge stated against Mr. Ofori-Atta apart from what is on the Arrest Warrant,” the release stated.
“The court records are not clear as to how the OSP secured the Arrest Warrant without a filed affidavit.”
The family also criticised the OSP’s use of media briefings to declare Mr. Ofori-Atta a fugitive, describing the actions as “unlawful” and a “public lynching.”
The press release contends that the Special Prosecutor disregarded a pending Human Rights Court ruling scheduled for June 18 and rejected a proposed video-recorded interview due to Mr. Ofori-Atta’s medical condition.
“Mr. Ofori-Atta does not run from justice but always meets justice and successfully defends himself,” the statement read, citing his past appearances before CHRAJ, Parliament, and other legal forums.
“These actions… do not reflect the conduct of a man running away from the law, but a person embracing it to assert his innocence.”
According to the release, Mr. Ofori-Atta had been receiving medical treatment at Mayo Clinic in the United States since 2021 and was diagnosed with cancer following a biopsy in March 2025. A subsequent surgery has been scheduled for June 13, 2025.
Despite submitting medical documentation to the OSP, the office reportedly refused to accept the proposed video interview and instead reissued a wanted poster.
“The OSP’s actions… do not reflect standards of fairness and reasonableness required of a Special Prosecutor,” the family insisted. “Rather than focusing on its investigations, the OSP is more interested in forcing Mr. Ofori-Atta to return to Ghana… to humiliate him.”
The release accused the Special Prosecutor of launching a politically motivated vendetta, stating that its actions violate the Constitution, due process, and international human rights laws.
The family concluded by reaffirming Mr. Ofori-Atta’s willingness to cooperate with the OSP upon his recovery. “Once his surgical procedure is over and the necessary treatment and recuperation has taken place, he will return to Ghana at the appropriate time and meet with the OSP in-person,” the statement assured.
They expressed confidence that “when these investigations are completed, he will be acquitted in full view of our entire nation and justice will find the Hamans.”
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
4 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
4 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
4 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
5 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
5 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
5 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
5 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
6 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
7 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
7 hours