Audio By Carbonatix
The Management of Marwako Fast Food says the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has already fined them ¢750,000.
This is according to its Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Amin Lamptey.
He is thus surprised by the release from the FDA.
“Inasmuch as we agree with the FDA with regard to what they have done so far, we have suffered some fines, a very huge amount of money.
“Marwako Fast Food Limited, has already paid ¢750,000. With this release, we will see what we can do with this and see how best we will follow what FDA has asked us to do so that we will be on the same page with the FDA."
Amin Lamptey added that the FDA should treat all other restaurants with the same approach.
“In everything that you do, you must have checks and balances, and then we hope that what the FDA has done with Marwako, it should go across all restaurants so that all of us will be on the same page,” he said in an interview with TV3 on Monday, June 13.
Meanwhile, it has also said it may need an independent investigation into the actions of the FDA.
The FDA in a statement on Monday said it discovered poor sanitation, poor storage, and microbial infestation as the causes of the food poisoning.
In the said release, the FDA explained that based on its findings, the eatery failed to observe the appropriate sanitary practices, leading to widespread food poisoning, which has reportedly affected customers.

“Analyses of samples of food, some juice drinks, and swaps taken from the environment at the East Legon branch of Mawarko Fast Food Limited indicate that there was heavy microbial load (pathogens) which may be linked to the foodborne disease reported.

Samples collected from the Abelenkpe and La branches were also found to be contaminated. The levels of sanitation and hygiene in the food preparation areas in all three facilities were poor”, portions of the statement read.
The FDA’s release continued: “It was also established that there were poor storage practices. The temperatures of deep freezers and refrigerators were far above the acceptable ranges. The handling practices of ingredients used in cooking, cooked and ready-to-eat food items were also very poor”.
Background
On May 12, 2022, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) closed down the East Legon branch of Marwako restaurant, following widespread reports of food poisoning on social media.
In a tweet, the FDA stated that the move to close down the restaurant is to enable the Authority to conduct investigations into customers’ complaints.
“The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant.
The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.
— FDAGhana (@fdaghana) May 12, 2022
“We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations”, the tweet said.
Latest Stories
-
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
1 minute -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
36 minutes -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
45 minutes -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
54 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
1 hour -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
3 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
3 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
3 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
4 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
4 hours