Audio By Carbonatix
Mr Abu Sumaila, Western Regional Director of the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA), has urged Ghanaians to temporarily stop the consumption of Salted Shark, locally known as Kako.
This follows a report that some Community folks had already picked and killed some of the live melon-headed whales washed ashore on Sunday, April 4, 2021, at Brawire and Ankobra beaches in the Nzema East Municipality of the Western Region.
Mr Sumaila, who spoke in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at the time the officers of the Authority visited the area, said the advice to avoid the eating of Kako was necessary to ensure public health.
"For now, let's stop the consumption of Kako. Some of the dolphins were sold out and there is no trace so the best advice is to suspend the eating of Kako for at least a month whilst investigations and education is ongoing."
He said the Authority was currently surveying the various market for a possible trace of such fishes that might have entered households.
"Our main focus is the markets in Half-Assini, Axim, Dixcove and all other possible places," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Debt servicing now below 20% of revenue — Ato Forson
2 hours -
Chamber of Mines backs government’s Adamus revival plan
2 hours -
Africa’s AI future must be African-led — Ama Pratt
3 hours -
Carney calls Trump’s fresh tariffs a ‘miscalculation’ after trade talks collapse
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Adeiso survive Wovenu SHTS scare in dramatic finish to reach one-eighth
3 hours -
From dialogue to action: IMANI engagement helps shape a new path for Adamus Resources
3 hours -
Carney faces crucial test after walking away from Trump’s deal
3 hours -
A new chapter for Ghana’s financial system: Commending BoG on non-interest banking milestone
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Sec. Tech. deny St. Mary’s one-eighth spot after late comeback bid
4 hours -
Adamus: From regulatory deadlock to a roadmap for recovery—Kay Codjoe writes
4 hours -
Where does Man Utd defeat rank among shock opening-game losses?
4 hours -
Man Utd ‘didn’t look ready’ – but hurting Carrick remains calm
4 hours -
NPP sets August 31 to September 3 for vetting of national officer aspirants
4 hours -
Can Chairman Wontumi contest NPP National Chairman?
4 hours -
NPP 2026 National Officers Elections: Nomination window ends with 50 aspirants in race for nine positions
5 hours