Audio By Carbonatix
Controversial Trinidadian football executive Jack Warner has been banned from the game for life by FIFA's ethics committee.
The 72-year-old, who first joined FIFA's Executive Committee in 1983 and spent over 20 years as president of CONCACAF, was arrested in Zurich earlier this year on wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering charges. He is currently awaiting extradition proceedings that would take him to the United States to stand trial.
Warner resigned from his posts when he was placed under investigation by the ethics committee in 2011 over a cash-for-votes scandal in the run-up to that year's FIFA presidential election. The case was subsequently dropped by the ethics committee as he was no longer involved in football.
Hans-Joachim Eckert, chair of the Ethics Committee at FIFA, has been heading FIFA's internal investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, and it is as a result of this that Warner has been banned.
"Mr Warner was found to have committed many and various acts of misconduct continuously and repeatedly during his time as an official in different high-ranking and influential positions at FIFA and CONCACAF," said FIFA in a statement.
"In his positions as a football official, he was a key player in schemes involving the offer, acceptance, and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments, as well as other money-making schemes.”
Warner was one of 14 football officials and sports marketing executives who were indicted in the United States on May 27 on bribery, money laundering and wire fraud charges involving more than $150 million in payments.
In the latest twist in the corruption scandal, Swiss authorities said last week they were investigating FIFA President Sepp Blatter on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.
One of the incidents under scrutiny by the Swiss attorney general was a TV rights deal for the Caribbean, granted to Warner and allegedly signed off by Blatter. Warner reportedly bought the TV rights for £400,000 and subsequently sold them on for around £12 million.
It was not the first time FIFA had given Warner TV rights for a knockdown price - in 1998 he was awarded the 2002 World Cup TV rights for Trinidad and Tobago for just one dollar, a practice that had begun under Blatter's predecessor Joao Havelange.
Warner has consistently denied any wrongdoing and continues to fight proceedings against him, as does Blatter.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
23 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
24 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
35 minutes -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
2 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
3 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
3 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
4 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
5 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
5 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
5 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
6 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
6 hours