Audio By Carbonatix
FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke has been put on leave and released from his duties until further notice.
Valcke was earlier accused of being implicated in a scheme to sell World Cup tickets above face value for a share in profits, although the 54-year-old Frenchman has denied any wrongdoing.
A statement from football's governing body read: "FIFA today announced that its Secretary General Jerome Valcke has been put on leave and released from his duties effective immediately until further notice.
"Further, FIFA has been made aware of a series of allegations involving the Secretary General and has requested a formal investigation by the FIFA Ethics Committee."
Earlier on Thursday, former Israel player Benny Alon said at a press conference in Zurich that he agreed in 2013 to pay cash to Valcke to secure plum World Cup tickets in Brazil. He said the plan was to then sell the tickets to fans at a mark-up and split the proceeds with Valcke.
Valcke "unequivocally" denied the allegations as "fabricated and outrageous" in a statement from his US lawyer Barry Berke.
"Mr. Valcke never received or agreed to accept any money or anything else of value from Mr. Alon," the statement said. "FIFA entered into an agreement with Mr. Alon's company, JB Sports Marketing. That agreement and FIFA's subsequent business dealings with Mr. Alon were vetted and approved by FIFA and its legal counsel."
Alon's allegations come on top of probes by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Swiss Attorney General's Office into corruption at FIFA following the indictment of 14 senior officials and sports marketing executives in May.
Markus Kattner, FIFA's Deputy General Secretary will temporarily take over Valcke's duties, according to a FIFA spokesman.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
16 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
58 minutes -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
1 hour -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
3 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
5 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
6 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
6 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
6 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
7 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
7 hours