The Film Producers Association of Ghana (FIPAG), has rendered an apology on behalf of Ghanaian actor Yaw Dabo over a statement he recently made.
The actor said in an interview that only lazy people spend longer hours in watching movies.
“Where the world is going now, everything is about money. So anyone who will sit for an hour to watch a movie is a lazy person,” he told radio personality Saddick Adams in an interview.
He received a lot of flak after making the statement. Some have argued that it is an insult for an actor to say that to people who watch his movies to support his livelihood. For many people, his comment is one that can draw back the Ghanaian film industry which is already struggling to gain foothold.
FIPAG renders apology for Yaw Dabo's “lazy people watch movies” comment. pic.twitter.com/9FW1sFQTI3— Kofi Hayford (@kofihayford233) February 1, 2023
In a press statement signed by the President of FIPAG, James Aboagye, the association has described Yaw’s comment as “very unsavory, offensive and insult[ing].”
They say “such a behaviour or attitude is an affront to the film industry and should not be entertained and supported by any well-mannered person.”
The diminutive actor is known for his roles in movies such as ‘It’s All about Love’, ‘Megye Wo Girl’, ‘Awarie Ben Nie’, among others.
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Take care of yourself, you would be replaced when you die – Speaker to MPs
- Ghanaian achieves outstanding results in global Finance and Accounting exam
- #NanaAt79 trends as Ghanaians celebrate Akufo-Addo on his birthday
- Leila Djansi’s mentee in UNESCO/Netflix project releases movie
- Nana Ansah Kwao IV apologises to Ghanaian youth
- Kelvyn Boy endorses Joy Prime’s Cues & Lyrics music reality show
- Livestream: PM Express discusses whether US is interfering in the passage of anti-LGBTQI bill
- No individual can take credit for NPP government projects – Kpando MCE
- Akan chiefs wield authority, not power – Ansah Kwao IV
- My lost hand became my motivation – First youngest Ghanaian Pure Math Professor
- And LPG flames its furnaces; the most potent third force?
- Education Ministry assures to fix all SHS infrastructural challenges
- I’ll be retiring from stand-up comedy in 5 years – Basketmouth
- Criminalising attempted suicide does more harm to society than good – Bernard Ahiafor
- Here is why Ghana’s plan to push ‘pedal power’ appears doomed to failure
- Ghanaian youth entering into entrepreneurial roles commendable – CARDIFF ANALYTICA CEO
- MTN Ghana cut digital sod for ICT hub construction
- Parliament’s Education Committee to investigate UG’s refusal to reinstate Commonwealth Hall residents