Audio By Carbonatix
A team of 30 Spanish doctors say they have successfully performed the world's first full face transplant.
A man injured in a shooting accident received the entire facial skin and muscles - including cheekbones, nose, lips and teeth - of a donor.
The man is recovering well after the 22-hour operation, said a spokesperson from Vall d'Hebron University Hospital.
Another 10 face transplants have been carried out around the world, but this is believed to be the most complex.
Hospital spokesperson Bianca Bont told the BBC: "This is the first total face transplant.
"There have been 10 operations of this kind in the world - this is the first to transplant all of the face and some bones of the face."
The man was operated on in March, but details of the operation have only just been revealed.
He had been left unable to breathe, swallow, or talk properly after an accident five years ago.
He was considered for a full face transplant after nine previous operations failed.
A team of 30 experts carried out the operation on 20 March at the hospital in Barcelona.
The man has since seen himself in the mirror and was calm and satisfied, the leader of the medical team, Joan Pere Barret, told a news conference.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
19 minutes -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
30 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
39 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
40 minutes -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
42 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
49 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
50 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
50 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
1 hour -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
2 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
2 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours