Audio By Carbonatix
The Kumasi Metropolitan Director of Education at the Ghana Health Service (GES), has described as false, reports that some final year students who recently returned to school, contracted the Covid-19 virus.
The Metropolitan Education Office, David Oppong said, had been monitoring events and activities in schools since they were reopened for the final year students to complete their work and write their final examinations.
“Presently, we do not know of any school which has recorded a confirmed case of Covdi-19,” he told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi.
He said the GES working in partnership with the Metropolitan Public Health Committee, had put in place the necessary measures for early detection of signs and symptoms of the disease amongst students.
“We have provided almost every school within our jurisdiction with a thermometer gun for the routine checking of the body temperature of students,” he noted.
Additionally, authorities of the various schools were directed to create isolation centres to take care of students who would show signs of the disease before being sent to the hospital.
Ghanaian schools had for over three months been closed down as the country took measures to contain the spread of the pandemic, which had claimed more than one hundred lives since the country recorded its first two cases on March 12.
With the disease spreading rapidly nationwide, many parents were apprehensive as their wards went back to school to prepare for the West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE). Mr Oppong assured parents of maximum protection for their wards, and entreated the public to treat the rumours circulating on social media with contempt.
Latest Stories
-
One dead, multiple injured after Russia launches wave of strikes on Ukraine
30 minutes -
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
1 hour -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
1 hour -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
2 hours -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
2 hours -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
3 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
3 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
3 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
4 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
4 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
4 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
5 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
6 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
6 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
6 hours