Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana has achieved 96 per cent reduction in Guinea Worm cases and is expected to hit the 100 per cent reduction mark towards completion, Dr Siedu Korkor, Guinea Worm Eradication Programme Manager said on Thursday.
"If Ghana achieves 100 per cent reduction, she would undertake a-three-year surveillance and when no case is recorded, World Health Organisation (WHO) would also undertake its own surveillance to certify Ghana as a Guinea Worm free country", said Dr Korkor in an interview with the Ghana News Agency in Accra.
According to him, only six new cases had been recorded so far this year, as compared to 146 cases the same period last year and expressed the hope that there would be improvement with tiem.
The disease, which has crippled millions in Africa and Asia, is nearly being eradicated in Ghana with efforts from the Carter Centre, which has been working with health workers in Ghana over the last 20 years.
People are infected after drinking water contaminated with Guinea worm larvae. The larvae grow in the body for about a year, reaching as much as a metre in length before exiting through blistering sores on the skin.
The only method for treatment is extraction of the worm, centimetre by centimetre over several weeks; victims feel excruciating pain and some are left crippled.
Affected communities suffer because victims cannot undertake their farming activities, attend school or care for their families.
When an emerging worm comes in contact with water, it releases thousands of eggs, and without education and treatment, the cycle of the disease continues.
When Carter Centre began its campaign in 1986, there were about 3.5 million cases of Guinea Worm in 20 countries.
Now there are fewer than 5,000 cases in six countries - Sudan, Ghana, Mali, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Niger - and Guinea Worm is likely to become the first disease to be eliminated without vaccines or medicines.
Ghana, the first nation targeted by Carter Centre's Guinea Worm Eradication Programme in 1987, had 180,000 cases at that time and just 501 cases in 2008.
With the efforts of local volunteers and simple methods like water filtration and health education, the number of cases continues to drop with six recorded in the first quarter of 2010.
Carter Centre is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation established in 1982 by Former US President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn.
Its mission is "to wage peace, fight disease and build hope".
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
2 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
2 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
2 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
2 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
2 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
2 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
2 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
2 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
2 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
3 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
3 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
3 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
3 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
3 hours