The National Folklore Board has revealed its intentions to mark this year’s World Folklore Day.
Speaking to Joy Entertainment on August 17, Executive Director of the board, Mrs. Bernice Ann Deh-Kumah, revealed that, “the event is geared to kindle the interest of African youth in matters of the Intangible Cultural Heritage”.
The National Folklore Board wishes to use the avenue to promote folklore, and will mark the World Folklore Day on Monday August 22, under the theme, ‘Igniting the Interest of the Youth in Folklore for Sustainable Development’.
The event, which will take place at the National Theatre in Accra, will host speakers including its Guest of Honour, Honourable Ibrahim Mohammed Awal (Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture), Prof. Kodzo Gavau (Associate Lecturer, University of Ghana – Archeology Department), Prof. Yaw Owusu Frempong (Business Expert, Leturer UGBS) and Mrs. Sarah Norkor Anku (IP Specialist and Legal Practioner), interspersed with cultural performances.
In a press release by the board, Ghanaians are being encouraged to join in the celebration by “enjoying Ghanaian meals and drinks, highlife music or folks songs, telling folk stories, proverbs and poems, wearing Ghanaian outfits, and of course, speaking Ghanaian languages”
The National Folklore Board is an agency under the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, with a responsibility of protecting expressions of folklore in Ghana.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia