The Executive Director of Africa Education Watch, Kofi Adu Asare, says he sees the reaction of the Education Minister towards JoyNews’ feature series ‘Ghana’s School of Shame’ as a positive one.
According to him, the Minister’s reaction, – although accusatory – would force the government to transform education infrastructure in rural areas.
On Wednesday Dr Adutwum said he felt embarrassed by JoyNews’ ‘Schools of Shame’ documentary.
His shame, he said, stemmed from the fact that Ghana had achieved enormous strides in the education sector, however, journalists chose to expose the acute lack of school infrastructure in some basic schools.
A section of Ghanaians were awed by the comment and questioned the commitment of the government towards the development of the country.
But Mr Asare has called for calm among the citizenry.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show, on Thursday, he explained that the uneasiness of the Minister will bring about change.
“I feel the Minister wasn’t happy with the situation. He felt bad that this story is being told about Ghana. That bad feeling is what will create a compelling situation for the Minister and government to act.
“This is the second step towards change and I am happy that the Minister is not alright with the story. The third step will be that after feeling sad about what is being portrayed, he will go ahead and commit more resources to improving basic education infrastructure in rural areas,” he said.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display