The Directorate of Research, Innovation and Development (DRID) at the Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ), on Friday held a virtual research seminar for faculty members as part of measures to improve research and publication in the institute.
The Seminar, the 3rd in a series of Writing Workshops dubbed “Writing Scholarly Articles Series” is part of efforts by GIJ to reposition its faculty members to take up more roles in academic research as well as improve the skills of students to produce better thesis at the end of their course.
Lecturers from various departments as well as students from the School of Graduate Studies and Research (SoGSR) participated in the seminar.
Senior lecturer at the Department of Communication Studies, University of Ghana, Legon, Dr Gilbert Tietaah, indicated that over 50 participants were taken through the rudiments of writing Literature Reviews in academic research.
According to him, literature review serves as the connecting tissue between what is known and what is yet to be discovered.
He noted that in an age where there is information overload on every topic, it is important to filter literature in a way that relates only the most important and relatable literature to a research topic.
Dr Tietaah said a good Literature Review should not only be a collection of scholarly works of different writers on a subject matter but must critique, compare and contrast the views of these scholars in a manner that reveals the researcher’s views on the topic.
Deputy Rector of the Institute, Professor Eric Opoku Mensah, who also participated in the seminar expressed gratitude to Dr Tiertah on behalf of the institute.
He also noted that the seminar will greatly contribute to the knowledge and skills of faculty members in the area of academic research and will encourage a vibrant research culture in the institute.
Dr Tietaah is a well-published communications expert with over 2 decades of experience in the area of social communication, media and political communication.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- ‘Thank you Dede Ayew’, tweets ‘praise’ Stars captain for missed penalty as Brazil mauls South Korea
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Let’s collaborate to strengthen bargaining position on gold pricing – Lands Minister to South African delegation
- Economic Management Team has failed us miserably – Mona Quartey
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Don’t criticise people who give thanks to God! — Bishop Saah warns
- Immediately exempt pension funds from debt exchange programme – GMA tells government
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- GSTEP team transforming plastic wastes into plastic houses
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Virologist alarmed over typhoid drug resistance; says vaccine is needed
- 2022 World Cup: Morocco beat Spain on penalties to book quarterfinal spot
- Transforming women health leadership for improved health outcomes
- Not one pesewa of pension funds will be lost to Debt Restructuring Programme – TUC
- Building a Village Dream premieres Dec. 8 on Joy Prime
- Akufo-Addo commissions Afienya Road Over Bridge on Tema-Mpakadan Railway line
- I will support victims of debt exchange programme to sue government – Adongo