Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s participation at the World Amputee football Championship in Argentina suffered a setback as the team failed to fly out last night as scheduled.
Fifteen players and seven officials were expected to travel to Argentina last night but lack of funds for plane tickets meant the trip had to be boycotted.
Government had earlier promised to take care of the cost of the team’s participation after initial setbacks to raise an estimated 80,000 cedis for the tournament.
The team which had secured visas for the games expected government to fulfill its promise but they were left stranded at their camping base in Osu.
When Joy Sports contacted Deputy Sports Minister Nii Nortey Duah about the situation, he denied any government promise to the Amputee team.
However Adjetey Sowah who manages the team said the deputy Minister was being dishonest.
He was enraged by the situation because in his opinion, the development will only seek to deepen the discrimination against persons living with disabilities.
He said when the Black Stars were participating in the World Cup in South Africa, the government sponsored hundreds of funs to go and cheer up the players.
Mr. Adjetey Sowah said it was regrettable that the same government was refusing to support just the players of the national amputee team to go to Argentina for the games.
A few of the player’s joy Sports spoke to at the camping base in Osu believe they have been discriminated against.
They said they were determined to raise the flag of Ghana high at the games but the nation had let them down.
Ghana is drawn in Group C alongside Turkey, El Salvador, Liberia and Algéria. Ghana’s Group opener is on Saturday. The tournament runs from October 14-27.
Source: Joy Sports/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
15 minutes -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
1 hour -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
2 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
2 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
3 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
3 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
4 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
4 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
4 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
5 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
5 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
5 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
5 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
5 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
5 hours