Audio By Carbonatix
The government says it is considering extending the ongoing Gun Amnesty Programme after receiving appeals from various stakeholders.
The initiative was announced in December last year by the Minister for the Interior to allow law-abiding Ghanaians who are in possession of unregistered or illicit firearms to surrender them without fear of interrogation, arrest, or prosecution.
Following a series of public engagements and stakeholder meetings, the National Commission on Small Arms and Light Weapons has reported that a number of individuals have voluntarily handed over their weapons under the programme.
Speaking at a stakeholder engagement with the Ghana Airports Company Limited and airport security agencies, the Deputy Minister for the Interior, Ebenezer Okletey Terlabi, said the government is taking the calls for an extension seriously. However, he said that the current deadline of January 15 remains in force for now.
He warned that anyone found in possession of illegal firearms after the amnesty period would face the full force of the law.
Addressing participants at the meeting, Mr Terlabi described the Gun Amnesty Programme as a critical national intervention aimed at improving public safety.
“The programme remains a critical national intervention in reducing the proliferation of illicit arms in our communities. Its objective is simple but vital: to remove illicit firearms from circulation, prevent their misuse, and promote a safer Ghana for all of us,” he said.
He noted that the government cannot achieve this goal alone and called for cooperation from institutions and the general public.
“This goal cannot be achieved by the government alone. It requires the cooperation of institutions and the trust and participation of the public,” the deputy minister said.
He highlighted the important role of airport security agencies, describing airports as strategic national assets.
“Airports are strategic national assets. They serve as a gateway to our country and are central to our economic activities, tourism, and international reputation. For this reason, the role of airport security agencies in preventing the movement and concealment of illicit firearms cannot be overstated.”
On the calls to extend the programme, Mr Terlabi said the Interior Minister is carefully reviewing the situation.
“We are aware of the growing public interest and stakeholder calls for the extension of the Gun Amnesty Programme. I wish to assure you that the Honourable Minister for the Interior is giving careful consideration to these calls.”
He explained that this consideration reflects government’s recognition of challenges such as limited access to information and time constraints.
“This reflects government recognition of the realities on the ground and the need to ensure that no individual is denied the opportunity to comply with the law due to lack of time, information or access,” he added.
Despite the possible extension, the deputy minister made it clear that the amnesty is still active and should be used. “The programme provides a lawful, non-punitive window for individuals in possession of illicit firearms or ammunition to surrender them voluntarily or to regularise their weapons in accordance with existing laws,” he said.
He urged people to take advantage of the opportunity, saying that surrendering illegal weapons is an act of responsibility. “Surrendering such arms is not a sign of weakness. It is a responsibility that protects families, communities, and the nation at large,” Mr Terlabi said.
He also issued a warning ahead of the deadline. “Once the amnesty period comes to an end, the law will be enforced fully. Possession of illicit firearms outside the amnesty framework will attract a prescribed sanction. The choice before us is straightforward: cooperation now or consequences later,” he cautioned.
“Together, through cooperation, public education and fair enforcement of the law, we can make meaningful progress in reducing gun-related breaches and strengthening national security,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
7 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
15 minutes -
KN Foundation prison outreach: Amenfi Central MP moved by sight of ‘very young boys’ as football legends visit inmates
15 minutes -
Sweety Aborchie Writes: Women, Power, Politics, Issue 3: Silence is not consent
19 minutes -
Ghana Card accepted at over 44,000 airports worldwide as a mode of identification – NIA boss
23 minutes -
Ghanaian midfielder Linda Owusu Ansah set to join AFC Toronto
35 minutes -
Grassroots sports development critical to Ghana Sports Fund vision – Yaw Ampofo-Ankrah
39 minutes -
Dr Emma Oliveira appointed Ghana Country Chair for Healthcare, Wellness, Insurance & Risk wing of Global G100 platform
43 minutes -
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
1 hour -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
1 hour -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
1 hour -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
1 hour -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
1 hour -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
1 hour