Audio By Carbonatix
Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has signed a decree converting Hagia Sophia in Istanbul - founded as a cathedral - into a mosque.
Earlier Turkey's top administrative court annulled the museum status of the world-famous cultural site.
Founded 1,500 years-ago as a cathedral, the Ottomans made Hagia Sophia a mosque. But in 1934 it became a museum.
It is a Unesco World Heritage site. Unesco urged Turkey not to change its status without discussion.
Islamists in Turkey have long called for it to be converted to a mosque, but secular opposition members have opposed the move. The proposal has prompted criticism, from religious and political leaders worldwide.
The head of the Eastern Orthodox Church has condemned the proposal, as has Greece - home to many millions of Orthodox followers.
Mr Erdogan's decree hands control of the Ayasofya Mosque, as it is known in Turkish, to Turkey's religious directorate, to reopen it for worship.

Modern Turkey's founder Mustafa Kemal Ataturk approved Hagia Sophia's status as a museum in 1934, and since then it has been a symbol of secularism, open to all faiths.
But the Council of State, Turkey's top administrative court, said in its ruling on Friday: "It was concluded that the settlement deed allocated it as a mosque and its use outside this character is not possible legally".
"The cabinet decision in 1934 that ended its use as a mosque and defined it as a museum did not comply with laws," it said.
The Russian Orthodox Church immediately expressed regret that the Turkish court did not take its concerns into account when ruling on Hagia Sophia, Tass news agency reported.
It said the decision could lead to even greater divisions.

Latest Stories
-
‘Jesus was accused; he kept quiet’ – Afenyo-Markin softens stance on legal action against Gyamfi
6 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Accra High steals one-eighth ticket from Sunyani SHS in stunning final-round twist
7 minutes -
Kejelcha breaks men’s half marathon world record by 29 seconds
7 minutes -
Nkoko Nkitinkiti programme has failed – Afenyo-Markin claims
33 minutes -
NDC yet to deliver key 2024 campaign promises – Afenyo-Markin
36 minutes -
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
2 hours -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
2 hours -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
2 hours -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
2 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
2 hours -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
2 hours -
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours