Audio By Carbonatix
Harvard University filed a federal lawsuit against the Trump administration to stop billions of dollars in proposed cuts.
The suit filed Monday is part of a feud that escalated last week when the elite institution rejected a list of demands that the Trump administration said was designed to curb diversity initiatives and fight anti-semitism at the school.
President Donald Trump froze $2.2bn (£1.7bn) of federal funding and also threatened the university's tax-exempt status.
"The consequences of the government's overreach will be severe and long-lasting," Harvard's president Alan M. Garber said in a letter to the university on Monday.
Mr Garber said the funding freeze had affected critical research, including studies on pediatric cancer, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease.
"In recent weeks, the federal Government has launched a broad attack on the critical funding partnerships that make this invaluable research possible," the school's lawsuit said.
"This case involves the government's efforts to use the withholding of federal funding as leverage to gain control of academic decisionmaking at Harvard."
Aside from funding, the Trump administration days ago also threatened Harvard's ability to enrol international students.
The White House has not commented on Monday's suit.
Latest Stories
-
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
3 minutes -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
39 minutes -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
2 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
3 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
3 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
5 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
5 hours -
Iran students stage first large anti-government protests since deadly crackdown
5 hours -
Fire guts Saboba Hospital’s Children Ward
6 hours -
Interior Ministry extends aptitude test dates for WASSCE applicants in 2025/26 security services recruitment
7 hours -
National Investment Bank donates GH₵1m to support GAF barracks redevelopment project
8 hours -
Gomoa-East demolition: 14 suspects remanded by Kasoa Ofaakor Court
9 hours -
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
10 hours -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
10 hours -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
11 hours
