Audio By Carbonatix
Harvey Weinstein has been stripped of his CBE following his conviction for rape and sexual assault earlier this year.
The disgraced producer, 68, is currently serving a 23-year jail sentence after being found guilty of sexually assaulting former production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and raping former aspiring actress Jessica Mann in 2013.
Now, six months after the landmark trial, the Honours Forfeiture Committee have voted to strip him of his honour.
The announcement was published in The Gazette, the UK's official public record.
Just published. The Queen has formally stripped Harvey Weinstein of his CBE.https://t.co/6hsa2Bz4Ve pic.twitter.com/QwD53ufQ9i
— Tom Newton Dunn (@tnewtondunn) September 18, 2020
The notice said: "The Queen has directed that the appointment of Harvey Weinstein to be an Honorary Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, dated 29 January 2004, shall be cancelled and annulled and that his name shall be erased from the Register of the said Order."
The removal of honours - formally called "forfeiture"- is done when someone is judged to have brought the honours system into disrepute.
Numerous other distinctions bestowed on Weinstein during his career - including France's prestigious Legion of Honour - have been revoked since allegations against Weinstein first surfaced.
The multi-Oscar winner, who was responsible for blockbusters including Pulp Fiction, The English Patient, Good Will Hunting, Gangs Of New York and Shakespeare In Love, was expelled from the Academy in 2017.
They had previously nominated his work for 341 awards, earning him 81 statuettes over the last 26 years.
The former movie mogul, 68, was granted an honorary CBE, for his contribution to the British film industry, in 2004. https://t.co/WeAr5MGw6Y
— Premier Radio Wrexham (@RadioWrexham) September 18, 2020
The Order of the British Empire is his final award of note to be rescinded.
Weinstein was awarded the honorary CBE in 2004, for services to the British film industry. It was honorary as he is not a citizen of a Commonwealth country.
On receiving the honour, Weinstein said: "My life and my career have been greatly influenced and enriched by great British film-makers and authors and so I am especially honoured and humbled to be receiving the CBE."
Senior Labour MP Chi Onwurah had been calling for the distinction to be removed since 2017.
CBE stands for Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire and is one step below a knighthood.
Set up in 1917 by King George V, the honours are spit into civilian and military divisions, the most senior of which make the recipient into a knight or dame.
Weinstein, who has consistently denied all charges, says he will appeal his convictions.
A second criminal case - for which Weinstein also denies the charges - is pending in California.
The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office has now started the extradition process for Weinstein to face five counts of sexual assault charges there.
If the request is approved, it could lead to a second high-profile trial.
Latest Stories
-
Four killed in protests during Kenyan strikes over high fuel prices
16 minutes -
Motorists stranded as floods submerge parts of Accra-Cape Coast highway
17 minutes -
Absa Bank supports Holy Trinity SHS students with career guidance and financial literacy
18 minutes -
At least 100 deaths reported in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo as 6 Americans exposed
19 minutes -
Shakira wins ÂŁ50m tax refund from Spanish government
20 minutes -
Gunman kills four and injures eight in Turkey, media reports say
21 minutes -
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt booed by graduates at mention of AI
21 minutes -
Married at First Sight UK brides tell BBC they were raped by on-screen husbands
21 minutes -
Sam George, Abena Osei Asare clash over poor network service and delays in fixing faults
22 minutes -
Northern region: Police arrest suspect over intimate video circulation
24 minutes -
Judge rules gun, writings are admissible in Luigi Mangione’s New York murder trial
26 minutes -
NDC has endured judicial hostility more than any party – Kwakye Ofosu attacks GBA over alleged bias
28 minutes -
Wontumi pleads not guilty to fraud charges, GH₵30m financial loss to Ghana EXIM Bank
31 minutes -
Death toll from Israeli strikes on Lebanon passes 3,000, officials say
31 minutes -
Global supply chain disruptions spark fresh focus on procurement as experts call for ethics and transparency
33 minutes