President of the Sunyani Traditional Council in the Bono Region, Nana Bosoma Asor Nkrawiri II, has eulogised Former President Flt. Lt. Jerry John Rawlings, describing his demise as untimely and one that hit him hard.
The former President, who died after a short illness on 12th November 2020, was buried Wednesday 27th January 2021 at the Military Cemetery in Accra.
His burial followed a State funeral at the Black Star Square.
Speaking on behalf of the Omanhene during a press briefing at his Palace in Sunyani, Nana Oboaman Bofotia Boamponsem II, Krontihene of the Sunyani Traditional Council, recounted the special relationship that existed between Sunyani-Manhene and the late Rawlings which dates back to 1982, two years after Nana Bosoma ascended the throne as the Chief of Sunyani.
He described the first President of the 4th Republic as a great inspirational leader, a pillar, and a man of principle who never compromised on what he believed in.
“Rawlings was not only a friend to the Omanhene, but his wife, Nana Konadu Agyeman Rawlings, was also a great friend of the late Queen Mother of Sunyani, Nana Yaa Nyamaa Puduo who passed on two years ago, he noted.
It will be recalled that the late Rawlings attended her funeral rites in Sunyani last year, he added.
Further recounting memories of the late former President, the Krontihene said, “The Council has lost a good friend”.
Nana Bofotia chronicled numerous developmental projects that opened the Region under Rawlings’ reign.
These include the extension of the asphalt road from Kumasi to Dormaa via Sunyani, the connection of the then Brong-Ahafo Region to the National Electricity grid at a time critics rose against the decision on the premise that the Akosombo Dam would recede if the extension of the electricity is carried out.
Ghana’s longest-serving Head of State also constructed the Regional Hospital in Sunyani among many other infrastructural developments birthed by his association with the Sunyani Traditional Council.
He said it helped transform Sunyani and the entire region to its present status and created jobs for many residents.
“The bravery of J.J. Rawlings helped restore the Paramountcy status of the Sunyani Traditional Council after it was revoked during the coup d’état in 1966,” he revealed.
He added that there was a time Rawlings honoured Nana Manhene’s 25th anniversary when the Council’s committee could not extend an invitation to him, proving the kind of love and relationship that existed between them.
He said if there was the need for the Traditional Council to have done something humanly possible to see the former President live longer, they would not have hesitated to assemble all their arsenal to save their friend.
He, however, noted that “God knows why he had to leave this earth at this time”.
“His death was sudden and his love, counsel, and friendship will be missed,” he said.
Nana Bosoma prayed to God to grant the wife, Nana Konadu Agyemang Rawlings, his children, the entire Anlo family, the people of Sunyani, and Ghana the strength of heart to endure the pain of the loss.
- 50 people injured after accident involving 4 cars on Kasoa-Weija road
- Assin North by-election: EC denies NDC’s accusation of inserting candidate’s name in voters register
- Nogokpo saga: Perez Chapel Bishop declares week-long fast over controversy
- Encourage acquisition, mergers of banks and NBFIs if needed – IMF tells government
- Agya Koo’s new plush mansion which got social media talking
- Two police officers injured as ghetto boys escape with handcuffs during arrest at Gomoa Nyanyano
- Assin North by-election: NDC accuses NPP, EC of plotting to insert an unqualified candidate’s name in voters register
- ‘I can’t believe I am here’ – Tariq Lamptey on his first start at the World Cup for Ghana
- betPawa PL: Hearts of Oak lose 4th consecutive game; Medeama drop points
- NPA impounds 181,000 litres of crude oil, diesel in Western Region
- School feeding programme: Caterers reject proposed increment to ₵1.20 per child
- Burna Boy makes history in London with sellout stadium show
- UEW staff write to Akufo-Addo to remove Governing Council Chair over abuse of office, appointment of VC
- Savannah Traditional Council working to resolve Gonja-Mamprusi conflict
- Woman jailed over infant deaths pardoned
- Ecobank Ghana supports Zero Malaria Business Leadership Initiative with $120,000
- Prince Harry accused of ‘wasting time’
- Billie Jean King Cup: Richard Ayi Dartey announces Ghana’s squad
- Five bills expected to be laid as Parliament reconvenes tomorrow
- 2023 AFCONQ: Asamoah Gyan expresses ‘worry’ about Black Stars squad for Madagascar clash
- Lasmid leaves Highly Spiritual Music – Kaywa confirms
- June 4 uprising occurred for far less than what is happening in Ghana today – Mahama
- There is no law to empower GHAMRO to charge for music play – Rex Omar
- Gunmen kill dozens and kidnap children in northern Nigeria
- Power Purchase Agreements: Let’s go for least-cost procurement competitive tender regime – former VRA Boss