The family of a 65-year old woman whose body got burnt while being prepared for burial at Asaaso-Patase near Anwia Nkwanta in the Amansie Central District of the Ashanti region have expressed great worry over their double agony.

Only some parts of the body of Yaa Pomaah was available for burial after the entire 5-bedroom house apartment where her body was being prepared on last Friday before the funeral on Saturday was razed down by fire.

Uncle of the deceased, Opanin Kwame Adu tells Nhyira Fm the incident did not only deform the body of the deceased, but also affected the funeral celebrations.

He said because the “funeral was poorly patronised”, the family received few Ghana cedis as funeral donations.

According to family sources, the late Madam Pomaah died after a short illness. The family took delivery of the body from a private mortuary at Jacobu, the district capital on Friday where the services of a private funeral home was sought to prepare the body for burial.

The family suspects a gallon of petrol bought to power a stand-by generator in the house where the deceased was to be laid in state was the cause of the fire.

“There was no light at where the body was to be laid in public so I sent one of my nephews to buy petrol to be used in a generator. I was here when word got to me that my house was on fire,” said Opanin Adu.

Not even the arrival of the personnel of Fire Service from Kumasi could save the situation, with everything in the house completely razed down except the funeral decorator’s belongings.

“It was too late. Though the dead body burnt, it was not beyond recognition,” he noted.

Frustrated Opanin Adu who described the accident unfortunate told Nhyira Fm the family has been “punished twice”.

“We have been left in deep sorrow and mourning. I am worried because this is a double punishment for me and my family: We’ve lost a loved one and the body too is burnt. I am really shocked,” explained Opanin Adu.

Story by: Ohemeng Tawiah, Nhyira Fm-Kumasi

Tags: