The Attorney General says he is clothed with the mandate to represent the Speaker and Parliament in cases where his interest in the matter is not at variance with that of the legislature.
This was Godfred Yeboah Dame’s response to a question posed by Supreme Court Judge Paul Baffoe Bonnie.
It will be recalled that Speaker of Parliament Alban Bagbin had criticised the apex court for not allowing him to be heard before setting aside a law passed by Parliament that allowed license to be granted for the cultivation of cannabis or ‘wee’ in small quantities for industrial and medicinal purposes.
Mr Dame is in the Apex Court seeking to set aside the court’s decision that struck out the law passed by Parliament.
He told the court that in his legal arguments filed, he amply addresses the legal question of whether he can represent the Speaker.
He further pointed out that he intends to send a copy of that to the Speaker of Parliament to make him aware of this legal position and further assure that his interest is secured.
The Court, however, opted not to comment on this matter as it indicated that it was not the appropriate time to do so.
The case was adjourned indefinitely as the parties in the case had not been served with court processes.
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- Women have been misled about menopause says New York Times
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- There is no biometric record of Victor Kusi Boateng in our database – NIA tells Ablakwa
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- We have a concerted approach for investment facilitation in Ghana – GIPC’s Deputy CEO
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the revised debt exchange programme
- Teachers from 48 schools undergo CHAG’s HIV, TB training
- Insecurity in relationships and how to handle it
- Bright Simons: Will a global circular economy help or hurt Africa?
- Businessman to construct bridges to connect cut off Lawoshime community to Keta
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- Include us in Traditional Council Affairs – Buipe Queen Mothers
- Andre Ayew explains decision to join Nottingham Forest
- Kylian Mbappe: Paris St-Germain striker to miss Champions League tie with injury
- Andre Ayew joins Nottingham Forest after Al Sadd departure
- Okaikwei South MP supports 200 students in Constituency
- Peru grows 6,000 different types of potatoes – Peruvian Ambassador to Ghana
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Illegal mining: Government to reclaim five thousand hectares of land destroyed by Galamsey