Joe Biden has won the race to become the next US president, defeating Donald Trump following a cliff-hanger vote count after Tuesday’s election.
The BBC projects that Mr Biden has won the key battleground of Pennsylvania, propelling him over the 270 electoral college vote threshold required to clinch the White House.
The Trump campaign has indicated their candidate does not plan to concede.
The result makes Mr Trump the first one-term president since the 1990s.
The BBC’s projection of Mr Biden’s victory is based on the unofficial results from states that have already finished counting their votes, and the expected results from states like Wisconsin where the count is continuing.
The election has seen the highest turnout since 1900.
Mr Biden has won more than 73 million votes so far, the most ever for a US presidential candidate.
Mr Trump has drawn almost 70 million, the second-highest tally in history.
President Trump had falsely declared himself the winner of the election when vote counting was unfinished.
He has since alleged irregularities in counting, but has not presented any evidence of election fraud.
His campaign has filed a barrage of lawsuits in various states and earlier on Friday, as Mr Biden appeared on the cusp of victory, said: “This election is not over.”
The election was fought as coronavirus cases and deaths continued to rise across the United States, with President Trump arguing a Biden presidency would result in lockdowns and economic gloom.
Joe Biden accused the president of failing to impose sufficient measures to control the spread of Covid-19.
Joe Biden is now set to return to the White House, where he served for eight years as President Barack Obama’s deputy.
At the age of 78, he will be the oldest president in American history, a record previously held by the man he has now defeated, Donald Trump, who is 74.
- Medical Doctor gets emotional on Joy FM over debt exchange
- Black Stars’ Christian Atsu reportedly missing after earthquake in Turkey
- My loss to Manny Pacquiao was deliberate – Joshua Clottey
- Haruna Iddrisu accepts changes in Minority leadership
- Muntaka accepts Minority leadership reshuffle after meeting with Mahama
- ‘God, please’ – Asamoah Gyan prays for Christian Atsu, other celebs join
- Cedi continues recent gain against dollar; $1 now ¢10.40
- Over 1000 dead as huge quake toppled buildings in Turkey and Syria while people slept
- Let’s continue to pray for Christian Atsu – Mahama to Ghanaians
- It is sad BoG unlawfully printed $3.3bn for government – IEA Director of Research
- We’ve amicably resolved impasse over change in Minority Leadership – NDC Council of Elders
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- SMEs without certification could lose out on ACFTA benefits – Trade Ministry warns
- Livestream: PM Express discusses DDEP and government’s trust deficit
- All set for Kwabena Kwabena’s ‘Vitamilk Love Night’ show on Feb. 11
- Non-participation in DDEP will prolong efforts to resolve current economic crisis – Ofori-Atta
- If you want to get the best out of your employee, compensate them – HR Instructor advises employers
- Sign up for debt exchange ahead of deadline – Ofori-Atta counsels bondholders
- Joy Entertainment Unpacked: Highlighting Guiltybeatz’s Grammys recognition
- Turkey earthquake: Atsu pulled out of rubble alive, says Portugese portal
- DDEP will bring economic stability and growth – Finance Minister
- Ankaful inmates get medical supplies from Tobinco Pharmaceuticals
- Suame traders fume; resist planned demolition of market
- Jesse Morgan recruits Celestine Donkor for inspiring single, Wataban (Wings of God)
- Diaspora Girls’ Senior High School launches 20th anniversary celebration