Audio By Carbonatix
Global fast food giant KFC says it is halting its "Finger Lickin' Good" slogan given the current hygiene advice amid the coronavirus pandemic.
"We find ourselves in a unique situation - having an iconic slogan that doesn't quite fit in the current environment," the company said.
It has altered its packaging with the phrase obscured. KFC said the phrase would return when the time was right.
KFC drops Finger Lickin' Good slogan amid coronavirus pandemic https://t.co/JGVOpyHK8U
— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) August 25, 2020
KFC outlets closed temporarily in March, but most have now reopened.
The company promoted its new look through a YouTube video, showing the slogan pixelated on posters and its food "buckets", saying: "That thing we always say? Ignore it. For now."
Some people commented on social media the slogan was not a health hazard as you were already eating with your own fingers.
But the finger-lickin' message has caused concern since the pandemic began. In March, the Advertising Standards Authority received 163 complaints about a KFC TV advert which featured people licking their fingers.
The complainants considered the advert was irresponsible because they thought it encouraged behaviour that might increase the chances of Covid-19 spreading. The advert was withdrawn by KFC.
KFC, which was founded in the 1930s by Harland Saunders, opened its first franchise in the 1950s and has used the Finger Lickin' Good slogan since then.
It dropped the slogan in the late 1990s but brought it back in 2008.
KFC has 22,500 outlets around the world - 900 in the UK and Ireland. It is owned by Yum! brands, which also owns Pizza Hut.
Latest Stories
-
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
19 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
24 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
30 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
3 hours