Dean of the University of Professional Studies Accra (UPSA) Law Faculty has appealed to Justices of the Supreme Court to strive to be disassociated with political parties.
Ernest Kofi Abotsi said they must be able to attain an image of autonomy as opposed to the public perception of partiality since they are appointed by the ruling party.
“The problem always comes when people associate people justices with political parties because we tend to insulate them and take away their judicial cloak and put on them the impression of political parties,” he decried.
His comments were in response to the host of Joy Newsfile, Samson Ayeninni who sought his advice to members of the public who associate the rulings of judges to the president who appointed them.
Mr Kofi Abotsi stated that if these perceptions are not corrected, the judgments of the courts will be questioned by the public.
Speaking further, he added that although they may not make decisions to favour government which appointed them as Supreme Court Justices, ignoring the perception will only reinforce it.
“If judgements are continually seen in a certain prism and the court itself doesn’t appear to be interested in dealing with that perception, brushes it aside and goes ahead to give decisions, these perceptions will continue to rage,” he said.
- You dare not close down schools – Mahama tells Education Minister
- Goats ate seedlings planted under Green Ghana project because they were not protected – Environmentalist
- No one can unseat me as Tamale South MP – Haruna Iddrisu
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- ECG disconnects Energy Ministry over debt
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Ghana has no system to register Mohammedan marriages – Dwomoh
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- I’ll win VGMA Best Rap Performance award again – Lyrical Joe
- Gas-filled tanker removed from Duampompo on Accra-Kumasi highway after JoyNews report
- Rave reviews greet Nana Fynn’s book “My Home, My Hell: Should I stay or should I go?”
- Residents of Krofrom benefit from free health screening
- Six takeaways from Chris Hughton’s presser at unveiling ceremony in Kumasi
- Livestream: NDC delivers ‘True State of the Nation Address’
- NDC flagbearership: Duffuor to file nomination on March 23
- Take advantage of technology to grow your business – Stanbic Digital Banking Head
- Vodafone Cash leads charge for digital financial inclusion in Ghana
- Republic Bank Ghana is not related to First Republic Bank in U.S
- Around 44% of population in African regions suffer from oral diseases – WHO
- Sister Derby was surprised when I reached out for a collaboration – Medikal
- Ghana Enterprise Agency pursues business integrity for SMEs
- I feel lost and confused about my estrangement from my mom
- Ada East drowning: Rescue efforts ongoing as NADMO dispatches team to provide relief items