Nick Kyrgios says it was a “bone-headed decision” to go ahead with the Adria Tour after Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric tested positive for coronavirus.
Bulgarian world number 19 Dimitrov, 29, withdrew from the tournament in Zadar, Croatia, on Saturday with sickness after losing to 23-year-old Croatian Coric, who played again on Sunday.
The series of events is hosted by world number one Novak Djokovic.
“Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’,” Kyrgios said.
With Croatia easing lockdown measures before the event, players were not obliged to observe social distancing rules and were seen embracing at the net at the end of their matches.
Pictures on the tournament’s social media from three days ago show Dimitrov playing basketball with Djokovic, Zverev and Marin Cilic, while he also put his arm around Coric before their match.
Australian Kyrgios added: “Speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This is not a joke.”
Djokovic’s agent confirmed on Monday that the Serb had not yet been tested, but would have a test.
The Zadar tournament was the second Adria Tour event after the opening round in Belgrade, Serbia.
Sunday’s final, which would have featured Djokovic, was cancelled.
“I am so sorry for any harm I might have caused,” Dimitrov, who also played in the Belgrade event last week, wrote on Instagram on Sunday.
“I tested positive back in Monaco for Covid-19. I want to make sure anyone who has been in contact with me during these past days gets tested and takes the necessary precautions.
“I am back home now and recovering. Thanks for your support and please stay safe and healthy.”
On Monday, Coric revealed he had also tested positive, saying: “I’m feeling well and don’t have any symptoms. Please stay safe and healthy!”
The tournaments were set up by world number one Djokovic to help players get back to match fitness after several weeks without competition because of the coronavirus pandemic. Several top-10 players have been competing, including Djokovic, Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem.
The first event in Serbia attracted 4,000 fans, and several thousand attended in Croatia.
Djokovic’s coach and event director Goran Ivanisevic told fans courtside the final was off because of Dimitrov’s positive test.
Tournament organisers said the final was cancelled “as a precaution and to protect the health of all participants and visitors”.
A statement read: “At all times we have strictly followed the epidemiological measures in place with the countries where the Adria Tour was organised.
“None of the people involved in the organisation and who have been in contact with Grigor have any symptoms.
“However, we are in close contact with health authorities in order to ensure that all people who were in contact with Grigor will be tested tonight. Since we do not want to risk, we decided to cancel the final match.”
There have been no professional tennis events organised by the main men’s and women’s tours since March because of the coronavirus pandemic.
The US Open will be held without fans from 31 August to 13 September, despite some players voicing concerns about travelling to New York.
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretences – Chief Director
- Affail Monney apologises for alleging Caleb Kudah breached Code of Ethics
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
- Ordering loophole allows students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
Lack of external support hinders progress of ODF interventions in Ashanti Region
Woman attacked by wild antelope succumbs to death
Kojo Adaah: Is the Ghanaian politician under siege?
Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Be firm in your stance to settle Dixcove dispute – Chieftaincy Minister urges Ahanta King
Ban use of mercury in small-scale mining – Asantehene
Citi FM petitions National Media Commission over assault on journalists
Millennial Street podcast takes on #FixTheCountry protests
I’ll deal with persons engaged in rosewood felling – Upper West Regional Minister
USAID promotes technology-based tracking system for criminal cases
Bono East Minister pledges completion of Kajaji SHS infrastructure
Chiefs involved in ‘galamsey’ to be sanctioned
Sunyani Municipal Hospital assures measures to improve health care following death of resident
UMB CEO celebrates Eid with customers in Tamale; donates items to Yaa-Naa’s
MTN donates to Chief Imam, 6000 families for Eid ul-Fitr