Audio By Carbonatix
The wife of the prime minister of Lesotho is to be charged with murdering his previous wife.
First Lady Maesaiah Thabane handed herself in to be questioned by police in the southern African mountain kingdom.
Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has also been questioned about the killing.
His estranged wife, Lipolelo Thabane, was shot dead outside her home in the capital Maseru two days before his inauguration in 2017.
The couple were involved in bitter divorce proceedings at the time.
The attack was originally blamed on unknown armed men, but recent court papers filed by the country's police commissioner, Holomo Molibeli, have raised further questions.
An arrest warrant was issued for 42-year-old Maesaiah Thabane on 10 January after she disappeared.
She was "picked from the border" with South Africa on Tuesday after an arrangement between her lawyers and police, police spokesman Mpiti Mopeli told AFP news agency.
Police Commissioner Holomo Molibeli told the BBC that she was being held in custody and would be formally charged in court on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has been questioned in connection with the killing of his previous wife
It is not clear if Maesaiah Thabane will apply for bail at the court appearance. Mr Molibeli said police will oppose her bid if she does, as she is believed to be a flight risk.
Maesaiah Thabane's lawyer, Rethabile Setlojoane, told the BBC he could not comment on the case.
Eight others in Lesotho and South Africa are also reportedly facing charges over the murder.
Last month, Mr Thabane agreed to be questioned by the police. On the day he was questioned, hundreds of opposition supporters marched through the streets of the capital, Maseru, demanding his immediate resignation.
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in January to demand the resignation of Mr Thabane
As pressure over the case mounted, Mr Thabane announced his intention to resign on 16 January, but did not specify a date when he would do so.
Mr Thabane framed the decision to step down as retirement, making no reference to the allegations against him and his wife.
The governing party and the opposition have accused the leader of hindering the investigation into his previous wife's murder.
Mr Thabane and his current wife have not yet commented on the case.
The prime minister announced that he would step down but has given no date for his departure
Initially, unknown armed men were blamed for the murder, but new evidence filed in court papers surfaced in early January.
The evidence, seen by AFP news agency, included a copy of a letter that the police chief wrote to Mr Thabane.
The letter, dated 23 December 2019, read: "The investigations reveal that there was a telephonic communication at the scene of the crime in question... with another cell phone. The cell phone number belongs to you."
Prime Minister Thomas Thabane has been questioned in connection with the killing of his previous wife
It is not clear if Maesaiah Thabane will apply for bail at the court appearance. Mr Molibeli said police will oppose her bid if she does, as she is believed to be a flight risk.
Maesaiah Thabane's lawyer, Rethabile Setlojoane, told the BBC he could not comment on the case.
Eight others in Lesotho and South Africa are also reportedly facing charges over the murder.
Last month, Mr Thabane agreed to be questioned by the police. On the day he was questioned, hundreds of opposition supporters marched through the streets of the capital, Maseru, demanding his immediate resignation.
Hundreds of protesters took to the streets in January to demand the resignation of Mr Thabane
As pressure over the case mounted, Mr Thabane announced his intention to resign on 16 January, but did not specify a date when he would do so.
Mr Thabane framed the decision to step down as retirement, making no reference to the allegations against him and his wife.
The governing party and the opposition have accused the leader of hindering the investigation into his previous wife's murder.
Mr Thabane and his current wife have not yet commented on the case.
What happened to Lipolelo Thabane?
Lipolelo Thabane was killed just two days before Mr Thabane was sworn in as prime minister in June 2017. The 58-year-old had been living apart from her husband since 2012. One evening while returning home, she was ambushed, shot several times at close range and died on the side of a road. The murder shocked the nation. Mr Thabane described it as a "senseless killing" in his inauguration speech.
The prime minister announced that he would step down but has given no date for his departure
Initially, unknown armed men were blamed for the murder, but new evidence filed in court papers surfaced in early January.
The evidence, seen by AFP news agency, included a copy of a letter that the police chief wrote to Mr Thabane.
The letter, dated 23 December 2019, read: "The investigations reveal that there was a telephonic communication at the scene of the crime in question... with another cell phone. The cell phone number belongs to you."DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Asunafo North Cocoa Farmers Union and partners rescue rural schools from infrastructure crisis
3 minutes -
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
33 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
36 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
1 hour -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours