Audio By Carbonatix
The spokesperson of ex-President John Mahama’s 2020 campaign team has landed a jab on the Special Prosecutor in the latter’s bid to access call records of the MP for Bawku Central.
In a Twitter post Thursday, James Agyenim Boateng said: “all violations of essential privacy are brutalizing.” “The very day that telco hands over the audio conversations of its subscriber to a third party will be the beginning of the undoing of that telco,” he added.
All violations of essential privacy are brutalizing.
— James Agyenim-Boaten (@jagyenim) 24 January 2019
~ Katharine Fullerton Gerould
The post comes after news broke that Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu has secured a court order, directing telecommunications network, MTN to surrender the call records between Mahama Ayariga and an officer of the Ghana Revenue Authority.
“In moving the motion for an order directed at the telecom giant to produce records of the conversation between the lawmaker and the officer at GRA, the SP said the information he wanted was between December 2018 and January 2019.”

Mahama Ayariga has been on the SP’s radar for a while
“Consequently, the Presiding Judge, Mrs. Ruby Naa Adjeley granted the order and asked MTN to produce the said records dated December 1, 2018, to January 6, 2019,” the Graphic reported.
What has Ayariga said?
The legislator has, however, noted that he won’t go down without a fight.
In a release, he said “I will contest Martin Amidu court order for my MTN call records.”
“I would have gladly personally handed my MTN call records to Mr. Martin Amidu, if he had just asked me directly…however, I think that in the interest of developing clarity on the law protecting the privacy of the communication of Ghanaian citizens on mobile telecommunications platforms, and setting proper precedents,” he added.
Other members of the opposition NDC have taken to social media to show solidarity to their colleague who has long been on the radar of the Special Prosecutor.
Former Deputy Communications Minister, Felix Kwakye Ofosu posted on Facebook saying, “Surely, MTN would ponder carefully over the adverse consequences that their business would suffer, if they hastily hand over call records of their client to an overreaching Special Prosecutor on a fishing expedition.”
Amidu’s investigations
Martin Amidu has previously accused the Member of Parliament of attempting to heckle his investigations.
In 2018, Amidu complained bitterly that Mr. Ayariga had sent emissaries to him a bid to dissuade him from perusing further investigations against the MP.
Latest Stories
-
Education Minister engages university administrators over ongoing strike
2 hours -
Technological convergence, disruptive innovation and the future of youth education in Ghana
2 hours -
When the sirens become a national anthem: confronting Ghana’s road accident crisis
3 hours -
Aksa bribery scandal exposes deeper failures in Ghana’s procurement system – Manhyia South MP
3 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
3 hours -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
3 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
4 hours -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
4 hours -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
4 hours -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
4 hours -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
4 hours -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
4 hours -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
5 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
5 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
5 hours