The flagbearer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Mahama, has presented food items to the Muslim community, ahead of the Eid-ul-Fitr celebration this weekend.
In what has been a routine, even before he became a Member of Parliament in 1996, Mr. Mahama asked the National Zongo Caucus Coordinator of the NDC, Alhaji Mohammed Coolie Younger, to distribute the items to the various Muslim groupings.
The beneficiaries include the office of the National Chief Imam, Al-Sunna, Ahmadiyya Muslim Mission, the Shia, Council of Muslims Organisations and other underprivileged Muslims.
The items presented were made up of 600 bags of rice, 600 food boxes and 100 boxes of cooking oil.
Eid celebrations this year have been dampened by the outbreak of the coronavirus.
The usual prayers, parties and street events which see large gatherings will be absent as Islamic leaders have urged people to stay indoors.
Already there is a ban on social gatherings in Ghana. President Akufo-Addo has extended the ban until May 31.
- Perez Chapel’s Agyinasare given 14 days to appear before Nogokpo traditional leaders
- Rastafarian student nearly rejected by Achimota School may represent them at NSMQ
- Lack of transparency and accountability may force us to cut support to School Feeding Programme – World Bank
- Can Gyekye-Quayson lawfully run as an MP in the Assin-North bye-election? (Kwaku Azar writes)
- Nottingham Forest release Andre Ayew
- Man fined GH¢2k and a sheep for allegedly attempting to sleep with friend’s wife
- ‘If NPP can get a consensus candidate, it’ll help us tremendously’ – Hackman
- 1V1D: Government spent averagely ¢670k on each of the ‘dried dams’ – Research
- Newly commissioned Catechist dies during Communion Service at Gowrie
- Man jailed 4 years for leaving fatally injured girlfriend in car
- Chris Hughton is a great guy and we are excited to work under him – Tariq Lamptey
- Ghanaian now Mayor of Royal Borough of Greenwich, UK
- MSport Football Challenge: Road to final 2023
- BECE will not be cancelled – GES Boss
- British Vogue editor Edward Enninful steps down
- Ken Ofori-Atta sues Captain Smart ¢10m for defamation
- Deloitte Ghana’s volunteer day impacts 10,000 students
- Government committed to a swift revival of economy – Ofori-Atta to foreign investors
- Biden says debt ceiling deal averted ‘economic collapse’
- Livestream: Newsfile discusses Supreme Court ruling on Domelevo, NPP flagbearer race
- Soo, Wasipe hostilities: Mahama calls for urgent intervention of Overlords of Mamprugu and Gonjaland
- Comfort Yeboah
- Assin North by-election: NDC will not win with sympathy votes – Nana Boakye
- British Airways fined $1.1m by US government
- Ama Ata Aidoo made tremendous contributions to Ghana, Africa’s development – Akufo-Addo