Former Member of the Armed Forces Revolutionary Council (AFRC), Major Boakye-Djan (Rtd) has been released from police custody after he was arrested for allegedly beating war drums.
Lawyer for the retired major Foster Akwasi Asante told Adom News his client said there could be a civil war should the Electoral Commission (EC) continue with the impending voter register compilation.
He added that the comment of the retired soldier was not meant to instigate or to call people to war but he was only admonishing the EC not to do anything that could trigger civil unrest.
The comment triggered controversy with leading members of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) calling for his arrest.
On Tuesday afternoon, the police in the Drobo in the Jaman South District of the Bono Region invited Major Boakye-Djan for questioning.
One of the National Democratic Congress (NDC’s) lawyers, Edudzi Kudzo Tamekloe confirmed the arrest on his Facebook page.
He wrote; “Comrade Maj. Rtd Kojo Boakye Djan has been picked up by the Cyber Crime Unit, CID Unit Headquarters, Accra and sent to Drobo police.
His statements have been taken.
Granted bail with one surety.
We shall survive this holocaust.”
Adom News’ Odehyeeba Akwasi Donyina reported that some members of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), led by the NDC Bono Youth Organiser, Efo Walanyo, stormed the police station to demand his release.
Mr Walanyo, who alleged the police intends to keep Boakye-Djan in custody, vowed to resist the “oppressors rule of the Akufo-Addo government.”
The retired soldier was granted a ¢20,000 bail with one surety and is supposed to present him to the police once every week whilst investigation is ongoing.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Don’t shake your car when fueling – Transport Consultant
Extraordinary problems require extraordinary measures – Lands Minister justifies burning of excavators
Government’s fight against galamsey camouflage – PPP
Court remands 32 alleged national security operatives accused of mining
Kenyan MPs summoned over bribery claims
#FixTheCountry: Be measured in your expectations of Akufo-Addo due to Covid-19 – Chief of Staff
#FixTheCountry: Pay cut for political leaders will not achieve much – Afenyo-Markin
Kumawood stars grace Mercy Asiedu’s 50th birthday
MTN Ghana donates in support of Eid celebration in Western Region
Inflation rate drifts into single digit of 8.5 per cent in April
Church of Pentecost hands over fully furnished Ejura prison to state
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor
Over 90% of ‘rotten’ vehicles at National Security premises distributed – Former MASLOC boss
Muslims urged to support in raising funds for the vulnerable
Nsawam Adoagyiri MP donates 10 Pulse Oximeters to Nsawam government hospital
I will resign from Parliament if anyone proves that I promised to fix any road – Sam George