A 26-year-old mason has been remanded into police custody by the Nkawie Circuit Court for stealing gold nuggets at Kotokuom, in the Atwima-Mponua District.
The plea of Kofi Frimpong was not taken and he would reappear before the court, presided by Mr Johnson Abbey, on November 30, this year.
Prosecuting, Detective Inspector Anthony Acheampong, told the court that the complainant, Mumuni Yakubu, had a small scale mining site at Kotokuom.
He said on November 12, this year at about 2100 hours, the suspect together with three other accomplices now at large, went to the site and loaded some of the heaped sand containing the nuggets into a sack.
Detective Acheampong said a security men at the site who saw them loading the sand, fired warning shots and they bolted.
He said Frimpong in the course of running away fell into a gutter and was arrested and handed over to the Nkawie police.
The prosecution said in his cautioned statement, Frimpong admitted the offence and was therefore charged and brought before the court.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Government increases cocoa price by 21% to ¢800 a bag
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Residents of Ashalaja sleep in kiosks as their homes remain flooded
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable – Theo Acheampong
- Prosecute Chairman Wontumi, Charles Bissue, others neck-deep in galamsey – NDC to Akufo-Addo
- Cities and Habitats, Ecobank launch ‘Rent to Own Boafo) home ownership package
- A-G advises Interior Ministry to compensate Ejura shooting victims
- GEPA optimistic of achieving 2029 NTES revenue target of $25.3bn
- Two health institutions in UK award £10 million to fight non-communicable diseases in West Africa
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- Cardiovascular diseases on the rise in Ghana; access to healthcare still a challenge – Report
- Power supply was curtailed to Weija, adjourning communities due to flood – ECG
- Nigeria Plans 15% Increase in Borrowing to Fund Record Deficit
- Government running Ghana as “a satellite state of international capital” – Martin Amidu
- Playback: NDC holds presser on illegal mining
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- 281 artisans pass out as certified electricians in Ashanti region
- Government records fiscal deficit of 6.4% as of September 30, 2022 – BoG