The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) has begun a series of meetings with some government officials in the US.
JoyBusiness understands that these engagements are supposed to help the Corporation appreciation the issues on the ground and what influenced the government’s decision to suspend the current ECG concessionaire deal with the Public Distribution Services PDS.
The government on July 30, 2019, announced the suspension of the 20-year concession, citing alleged “material breaches” of its agreement with PDS.
It later announced the setting up of a committee to try and investigate the issues.
JoyBusiness is also learning that the Board of the Millennium Development Authority (MiDA) Ghana is also working to hire an independent investigator to conduct a forensic audit of the claimed material breaches in order to fully establish the facts of the matter.
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) Ghana Power Compact was signed in 2014.
This would result in some $498 million advanced to Ghana to help the transformation of the country’s energy sector through private sector participation and key policy and institutional reforms that will provide more reliable and affordable power to the Ghanaian people.
The MCC Ghana Power Compact is expected to benefit an estimated 9.7 million Ghanaians over the next 20 year, according to the US government.
Who is in the US for this meeting?
Sources say the meeting brings together some government officials drawn from the Energy ministry, including one of the ministers, Energy Commission and the Millennium Development Authority, including its boss.
The US government in an email through its embassy in Ghana had maintained that “Government of Ghana agree, that private sector participation is essential to restoring the financial health of Ghana’s energy sector”.
Government sources have told JoyBusiness that ongoing investigation would go ahead, and at the end government, MiDA would decide on the way forward in dealing with the issues.
This follows the decision of the US government to back plans by the MiDA to hire an independent investigator to carry out a forensic audit on the documents.
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Taskforce destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money rituals
- 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19 – Akufo-Addo
- Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
1975 Sekondi College year group visits alma mater
Authorities of Cape Coast School for the Deaf and Blind appeal for infrastructural support
Classroom block for Islamic School commissioned in Akatsi North
DR Congo: 30 sentenced to death over anti-police clashes
PPP backs calls for independent probe into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah
Bawumia endorses Ghana’s candidate for Commonwealth Youth Council
Livestream: 5th edition Ghana CEO Summit
Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
GIPC hints of 5 years tax holidays for aquaculture investors
PharmAccess’ Dr Maxwell Antwi appointed to UHC2030 Advisory Group
Assault on journalists: Media Groups call for restructuring of National Security agency among others
Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
Miss Universe contestants unveil protest messages in politically charged pageant
Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Enhance babies’ food with micronutrient powder – Nutrition Officer