Audio By Carbonatix
Milos Raonic said he has been playing with pain since January, after scraping his way into the US Open third round on Wednesday.
Raonic was plagued by back issues in New York, but he managed to surpass Fernando Verdasco 6-2 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (7-1).
The world number 10 will face Verdasco's fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez next - the pair splitting their two matches in 2015 so far.
The last time they met - in the Australian Open fourth round when Raonic won in five sets - the Canadian was playing without any inhibitions.
Since, however, Raonic has been below 100 per cent - retiring during the Monte Carlo Masters in April with a pinched nerve in his right foot which required surgery that ruled him out of the French Open.
"It's been a while. I'd say probably Australia time," Raonic told a news conference of the last time he played without some discomfort.
"But it's just a tennis player's life. We don't have substitutes or anything. I think there's always something nagging at you.
"It's tiring. Sort of when you wake up every morning you're sort of asking yourself, 'Am I going to be better today?'
"Sometimes you get positive signs from your body and sometimes you get disappointing signs."
Raonic's start to the North American hard-court swing was also delayed by his foot problem, and he came into the US Open off first-up losses to Ivo Karlovic (Montreal) and Lopez (Cincinnati).
The Canadian said the back injury flared against Karlovic at the Rogers Cup, but declared it unrelated to his foot concern.
Given his lack of match practice, with only two under his belt between Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows, Raonic said the more time on-court he gets, the better he will be.
"That mental fortitude today is what has gotten me through, and it's what's going to give me a chance in my next match as well," the 24-year-old said.
"I just have to keep plugging away and trying to be better and better each match. Those are the goals."
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
42 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
1 hour -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours