Audio By Carbonatix
Minority Chief Whip Frank Annoh-Dompreh has called on Parliament to immediately withdraw the official letter notifying the Electoral Commission (EC) of a vacancy in the Kpandai Constituency, describing the action as unlawful and procedurally flawed.
Speaking on the floor of Parliament, Annoh-Dompreh insisted the letter—signed by the Clerk to Parliament on December 4, 2025—was issued in disregard of due process, especially since a motion for stay of execution is still pending in court.
“We strongly submit that the letter that was filed with the Electoral Commission was out of place, was unfortunate, and flies in the face of law and procedural justice,” he said.
“That letter must be withdrawn forthwith… Ghana is a fledgling democracy, and the least we can do is to support the procedure.”
The Parliamentary Service wrote to the EC last week confirming a vacancy in the Kpandai seat, following a High Court order for a re-run of the 2024 Parliamentary Election.
The notification formally triggers the administrative process for a by-election to select a new MP for the constituency.
The letter was addressed to EC Chairperson Jean Mensa and issued by the Clerk to Parliament, Ebenezer Ahumah Djietror, citing the constitutional mandate under Article 112(5).
But the Minority says the move was premature and undermines judicial processes.
Annoh-Dompreh argued that Parliament should not act on the court’s directive while an application for stay of execution remains unresolved.
“We on this side of the House cannot support that decision,” he stressed. “The clerk must be instructed forthwith to withdraw that letter and act according to law.”
He also reminded the House of previous instances where both sides cooperated despite numerical challenges, urging the Speaker to demonstrate similar consistency and fairness.
Latest Stories
-
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
5 minutes -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
10 minutes -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
14 minutes -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
21 minutes -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
27 minutes -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
44 minutes -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
48 minutes -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
50 minutes -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
54 minutes -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
1 hour -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
1 hour -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
1 hour -
Mahama launches $300m World Bank-funded secondary school improvement programme
1 hour -
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
1 hour -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
1 hour