Audio By Carbonatix
The case in which three soldiers are being tried for the murder of Alhaji Issa Mobilia, a former Northern Regional Chairman of the Convention People's Party (CPP), was on Tuesday adjourned to December 6, 2011 to enable the prosecution to file a supplementary affidavit in support of an application for the court to grant it (prosecution) leave to file additional evidence in the case.
When the case was called for the prosecution to move its application, a Chief State Attorney, Ms Penelope Mamattah, prayed the Fast Track High Court, presided over by Mr Justice Mustapha Logoh, to grant her a short adjournment to enable her to tile a supplementary affidavit.
She said the state wanted justice and the truth to come out, hence the need for all the requisite information and evidence required to be allowed to be filed.
However, counsel for the accused persons, Mr Thaddeus Sory, opposed the adjournment on the grounds that the case had unnecessarily been delayed due to frequent adjournments at the request of the prosecution.
He noted that two of the accused persons had been in custody for more than six years without pay.
Two of the soldiers, Corporal Yaw Appiah and Private Eric Modzaka, are standing trial for allegedly murdering Alhaji Mobilia. A third soldier, Private Seth Goka, is on the run and is being tried in absentia.
Mr Sory, therefore, asked the court not to grant the request for adjournment or it be granted alongside bail for the accused persons, since their fundamental human rights had been greatly affected.
He said the Attorney-General’s Office had been given too much laxity in the case and saw the frequent application for adjournment as a ploy to delay the trial.
“My Lord, the accused persons have not been treated fairly in this matter at all,” he added.
Mr Justice Logoh, in adjourning the case to December 6, 2011, conceded that justice delayed was justice denied, while justice hurried was also justice buried.
He said he would not accept any excuses or failures on the next adjourned date.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
12 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
14 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
31 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
35 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
36 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
37 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
40 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
40 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
45 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
46 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
47 minutes -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
48 minutes -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
56 minutes -
Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
56 minutes -
Know when to wait, verify and publish – GJA President tells journalist
1 hour