Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s High Commissioner to South Africa is worried that the Communications Minister's approach in the standoff with pay-TV giant MultiChoice could unsettle investor confidence when the country is seeking to attract foreign capital.
Speaking to JoyNews’ Blessed Sogah, Benjamin A. Quashie, he admitted that Samuel Nartey George’s approach had put diplomats in a tight corner as they try to market Ghana as a safe and attractive destination for investment.
“What makes it difficult for some of us as diplomats is that we've just gone through orientation, and we've been given KPIs.
"The KPIs we need to achieve them because there's a reset agenda that has to do with diplomacy as well.
"I believe that ambassadors are supposed to go out there, get people to come and invest in the country and all of that. So when it happens, like, it becomes a bit challenging,” he explained.
Mr Quashie noted that South African investors and multinationals could easily misinterpret the standoff as a trade dispute.
“You have an election to win, you have a grassroots or base to satisfy, and then you have investors also who would bring in the cash very well. So that is where we need to, again, go into this with diplomacy,” he said.
The Ambassador’s comment comes at a time when the minister has resolved to shut down DStv over a price war.
In a social media post on Friday night, Samuel George threatened to close MultiChoice Ghana by Saturday, September 6, unless the company immediately slashes its subscription fees, which he described as exploitative.

“Let me be clear, I have no intention to continue tolerating the disrespect to Ghanaians by DStv. If they have changed their position, then we simply would enforce the regulatory action. No company is above the law,” the minister said in his post.
The ultimatum has sharpened fears of a regulatory clash that could have wide commercial and diplomatic repercussions.
MultiChoice, operators of DStv and GOtv, is one of the largest South African businesses in Ghana.
Its operations are seen as a bellwether for other investors from the continent’s most industrialised economy.
Already, memories linger of GAME’s sudden exit from Ghana in 2021, which cost hundreds of jobs and sent shockwaves through the business community.
The diplomat disclosed that his office had already started receiving calls from South African business circles worried about whether Ghana was sliding into a “trade war”.
"You see, at the end of the day, when we are fighting and we make it look – now I'm hearing people call and say you are fighting. I have told them that there's no war. We are not at war with them. We are not fighting with them. South Africa is a big economy, whether we like it or not," he said.
On MultiChoice’s position, the envoy suggested the company was not against tariff reductions but wanted more time.
“Multi Choice's opinion is about the timeline within which the minister is giving. MultiChoice is not saying, ‘We are not going to reduce,’ but they are asking for an extended timeline.
"The minister says 'no', we are doing it within this period of time. And I think this will only be solved in the boardroom. This will only be solved between the two parties,” Mr Quashie stated.
He drew parallels with the past, recalling how Shoprite’s exit was partly blamed on pressure from government policies that the company felt undermined its operations.
“And that exit, that Shoprite did in this country, has affected a lot of people. Some people were working there – Ghanaians, of course,” he lamented.
Despite the tensions, the High Commissioner expressed optimism that diplomacy would prevail.
“Well, of course, South Africa will hit back. There will not be any retaliatory measures in this. I see a solution within the days to come. I see a solution.
"Like I said, I’m privy to information. The Foreign Affairs Minister has spoken to his counterpart from South Africa. We’ll get a solution,” he assured.
For now, the country stands at a crossroads: a government minister vowing to confront what he sees as corporate exploitation and a diplomat cautioning that the method of confrontation could ripple across boardrooms from Johannesburg to Accra.
Latest Stories
-
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
6 minutes -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
11 minutes -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
14 minutes -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
18 minutes -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
26 minutes -
Over 101,000 students benefit from government’s No Academic Fees Policy – SLTF
32 minutes -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
33 minutes -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
33 minutes -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
34 minutes -
Nduom welcomes Court of Appeal ruling restoring GN Savings and Loans licence
40 minutes -
Margins Group celebrates NIA@20
41 minutes -
Traders lament slow pace of Krofrom Market reconstruction after recent project resumption
42 minutes -
IMCC engages media practitioners on new Decentralisation policy framework
42 minutes -
Our second coming will be bigger – Nduom on GN Savings and Loans
50 minutes -
Tourism Minister pushes for A-G probe into GH¢33m audit discrepancies
59 minutes