Audio By Carbonatix
U.N. rights experts asked Nigeria on Monday to release a 22-year-old singer who was condemned to death over an allegedly blasphemous song, and said the sentence broke international law.
Yahaya Aminu Sharif was sentenced last month by a sharia court in Kano, the commercial hub of Nigeria’s mostly Muslim north, after he performed the song and shared it on WhatsApp.
“Music is not a crime,” read a joint statement from the group of U.N. rapporteurs.
“Application of the death penalty for artistic expression or for sharing a song on the internet is a flagrant violation of international human rights law, as well as of Nigeria’s constitution,” said Karima Bennoune, special rapporteur on cultural rights.
The rights experts said Nigeria should overturn the death sentence and guarantee the singer’s safety while he launched an appeal. Protesters enraged by the song burned down Sharif’s family home on March 4.
There was no immediate reaction from the judicial authorities in Kano, which runs sharia alongside civil courts.
The state’s justice system has been in the spotlight since a sharia court also sentenced a 13-year-old boy to 10 years in prison last month after he was accused of making blasphemous statements during an argument.
The head of Poland’s Auschwitz Memorial has written to Nigeria’s president asking him to pardon the boy, Omar Farouq, and offering to serve part of the jail term himself.
Kano’s sharia courts are active, but death sentences for blasphemy are unusual and the most recent, handed down in 2015 to nine followers of the Tijani Muslim sect, have yet to be carried out.
Latest Stories
-
Suspected robber crashes stolen taxi into traders while fleeing mob at Ejisu
18 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kumasi Academy secures one-eighth spot after commanding win over Bueman SHS, Hohoe EP SHS
41 minutes -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair: Day 2 ends on high note as patrons enjoy exciting discounts
52 minutes -
Big Push: Upper West MPs inspect N12 works, optimistic improved roads will curb robberies
1 hour -
India is turning to ancient water systems as modern ones run dry
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Anum Presby survive tense battle to deny St. Charles Minor Sem. one-eighth spot
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Heartbreak for OLA SHS as Aburi Presby SHTS deny them one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Laptop catches fire on US flight, with passenger treated at airport
2 hours -
Tano North chiefs tackle police over ‘routine release’ of arrested illegal miners
2 hours -
Accra-Kumasi Expressway almost complete – Roads Minister
3 hours -
ECG announces temporary power outages in parts of Tema and Ashanti Regions
3 hours -
Somalia child hunger crisis deepens after aid cuts, UNICEF says
3 hours -
Media urged to help shape Constituency Games implementation
3 hours -
Accra’s only public horse racing course destroyed at Borteyman
3 hours -
Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say
3 hours