Prof. Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang has accepted with gratitude her nomination as running mate for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 2020 elections.
The former Education Minister was on Monday unveiled at a meeting of the NDC’s National Executive Committee (NEC) as the running mate for the party, move that has been welcomed by most members of the party.
According to members of the party, her nomination is precedence that is likely to lead the party to victory in the upcoming election.
Reacting to the move she said, “this historic nomination is not a personal achievement but victory for inclusive and participatory democracy, which enhances the credentials of our country and recognizes the towering role women have played over the ages to achieve the progress we have made.”
She further pledged full commitment to the party, promising resounding victory.
“I pledge to diligently apply myself and dedicate all the energy and intellect I can muster to ensure a resounding victory for the NDC and for our country, Ghana,” she said.
Her nomination brings closure to months of speculation and several fake news stories on the former president’s choice for a running mate for his comeback bid.
Prof. Opoku-Agyemang is a veteran educationist and became the first female Vice-Chancellor of a public university of Ghana when she was appointed to head the University of Cape Coast (UCC) in 2008.
She was also appointed as Education Minister under the erstwhile Mahama administration in 2012, a position she held until the party lost power to the incumbent NPP in 2016.
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Akufo-Addo awards Emirates with Presidential Honour for Distinguished Service in fight against COVID-19
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- NYA lauds District Assembly Common Fund for role in Youth Resource Centres construction
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hint at audit
- I love listening to music more than recording – Kelvyn Boy
- Bring Mohammed Muntaka to book – NDC executives told
- Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Life in prison for saying you’re gay
- Oforikrom Assembly signs MoU with Crops Research Institute to improve vegetable production
- Woman arrested for cooking after reopening of Kejetia Market
- Saudi government provides parcels to Muslims ahead of Ramadan
- African scientists urge governments to invest in appropriate regulatory mechanisms for biotech products
- NDC primaries: We need a people-centered leader in Ketu North – Edem Agbana
- Referee suspended for using spectator’s mobile phone to disallow goal
- NIB arrest some ECG IT personnel over recent prepaid vending challenges
- Vodafone cash and MobileMoney Limited partner to enable merchant interoperability