Director of Electoral Services at the EC, Dr Serebour Quaicoe

The Electoral Commission says the newly compiled voters’ electoral roll is credible despite its earlier statement that some minors and foreigners managed to register.

The Commission’s Director of Electoral Services, Dr. Serebour Quaicoe in an interview on Joy FM’s Top Story Wednesday noted that although some unqualified individuals managed to get registered the Commission is optimistic that by December 7, all those names will be ejected.

He further indicated that, “There is no system in this world that is 100% perfect.”

“The challenge cases that we have currently are less than 2%, so this tells you that this register is credible and can be used.”

Earlier today, the Jean Mensa-led EC revealed that there are minors and foreigners among the 16.9 million persons it has so far registered to vote in the upcoming general elections on December 7.

It followed few days after the Commission had patted itself on the back for the successful completion of the voters’ registration exercise.

Last week, the EC during its weekly update assured it is on course to deliver a credible election with a register comprising only Ghanaians.

Speaking on how the EC will produce a clean voters’ register before the elections, Dr Quaicoe said two ways have been employed, that is, the challenge process which was done during the registration exercise and objections processes which will be done during the exhibition exercise set for September.

“So we believe that by the time we finish challenge and objection process we would have cleaned out these unwanted names from the register,” he stressed.