A 50-year-old Philip Kweku Agyeman from the Brong Ahafo region has been adjudged the 2017 National Best Farmer.
He becomes the first to walk away with $100,000 cash prize after the 2017 package was improved.
Mr. Agyeman from Dormaa West has farms that employ 205 workers, casual and permanent. He has been farming for 28 years.
He owns 280 acres of farmland which includes 120 acres of cocoa , more than three acres of fish pond, 95 acres of plantain, seven acres of cashew, five acres for orange farms, seven acres for coconut.
He also has 45,000 poultry and other livestock.
The first runner-up is Mabel Akoto Kudjoe from Hohoe in the Volta region.
The second runner-up is from the Ga South Municipal Assembly, Rebecca Anne Commey of the Greater Accra region.
Photo: Rebecca Anne Commey
In all, 77 farmers and fishermen including women, were recognised for their hard work.
Other award-winners included Abdul-Rahman Mohammed from the Upper East region who was adjudged the National Best Crop farmer.
The National Best Youth farmer was Richard Awombadek who comes from Builsa South in the Upper East region.
National Best Livestock Farmer was Yussif BunBaz.
National Best Cocoa farmer: Yakubu Osman from Sefwi the western region.
National Best Fisheries Worker: Yaw Logo
National Best Aquaculture farmer, Joshua Anning.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years
- 2019 Budget: Finance Minister's 'completed recreational park' at Oda
- 1998 year group of APASS refurbishes school dining hall
- Photo of the week: The Bawumia reminder