Over 200 teachers have applied to the Ghana Education Service to transfer them from their various stations in the Upper West region due to lack of accommodation.
Evans Kpebah, the Upper West Regional Director of the Ghana Education Service disclosed this to Joy News in an interview on the sidelines of an education improvement conference held in Wa.
He told Joy News' Rafiq Salam that the picture looks gloomy for the region when schools reopen in September because over 200 teachers have applied to be transferred outside the region.
According to him, the development does not augur well for a region that is already smarting from inadequate teachers and school infrastructure.
Education in the Upper West region has taken a nose dive.
Results of students who sat for the West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASCE) and Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) in the last three years is the worse in a decade.
One major challenge attributed to the fallen standard of education in the region is the attrition rate of teachers.
The situation could be worse when schools reopen in September as over 200 teachers have applied for transfers to leave the region.
The transfers if granted will have a negative effect in an already dire situation especially on the Free Senior High School (SHS) programme of the government.
Watch the video report:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach