The running debate in the country this week has been whether to pay or not to pay for TV Licence.
There have been arguments and counter-arguments about the national broadcaster having any justification to claim TV license fee from every citizen who owns a television set.
Ghanaians who fail to pay their TV licence fees face a jail term after the Chief Justice, Sophia Akuffo set up special courts for dealing with such cases.
Attempts by the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) to have defaulters jailed for refusal to pay got the country talking with some prominent people and groups openly saying they will not pay.
The National Media Commission on Friday was locked up in a meeting with officials of GBC as the government also says it was not adequately informed before courts were set up.
Connecting in the studio is Nana Sarpong Agyemang Badu, Member of Occupy Ghana who said the law should be repealed.
Also connecting was Thomas Boakye, a citizen activist and a lecturer at the Ghana Telecom University as well as Kweku Botchwey also a citizen activist and a lecturer at the National Film and Television Institute NAFTI.
Vincent Owusu Appiah a free-lance journalist in London and a researcher for DSTV in London also joined the discussion.
Listen to the discussion below:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Curfew imposed at Bole over deadly chieftaincy clashes
- SSGL is Environmental, Sanitation Services Company of the Year
- 42 minors rescued from slavery on Volta Lake
- Trust God, build well - Minister advises potential victims of earth tremors
- Police open probe into sexual assault of British girls, teacher at gunpoint
- Accra Technical University to offer training in drone technology
- Free SHS: Kufuor poo-poo’s ‘rich must pay’ argument
- National Chief Imam honours Dr Bawumia
- Avoid redundancy exercise if possible – HR expert counsels practitioners
- Students Loan Trust releases GHS7m for applicants
- The levitating stone of Shivapur: A controversial ‘miracle’
- People going mad for Emirates’ ‘diamond covered’ plane
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped