The presidency has distanced itself from a purported tweet from Nana Akufo-Addo in support of the embattled Chief Executive of gold dealership firm, Menzgold.
In a statement Thursday, the Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin explained that the said tweet noting that the meeting between the President and Nana Appiah Mensah is fake.
“I want to put on record that NEVER has the President’s Twitter handle been used to do that. That supposed tweet is a fake… President Akufo-Addo never had a one-on-one meeting with NAM1 on April 25, 2018,” Eugene Arhin wrote.
He explained that on the said date, football governing officials from the continent and the country “paid a courtesy call on President Akufo-Addo, ahead of the conferment of an honorary doctorate degree by the University of Professional Studies.”
“The then-Ghana Football Association (GFA) President, Kwasi Nyantakyi, only brought NAM1 [Nana Appiah Mensah] to the meeting because four days earlier, on April 21, 2018, Zylofon had indicated its decision to sponsor the Ghana Premier League,” he added.
President Akufo-Addo exchanging pleasantries with NAM1
“Never on that day did the President have a one-on-one meeting with NAM1,” Mr. Arhin stressed, adding that he never had the President post the fake tweet.
Court orders arrest of NAM1
Meanwhile, there is a manhunt for the embattled CEO after several calls his by disgruntled clients went unheeded.
A circuit court Wednesday afternoon declared him wanted.
There are reports in the media that he has absconded to another country, possibly outside the continent.
His woes and that of his clients began after the Securities and Exchange Commission ordered the shutdown of his gold vault market after investigations revealed the illegality of same.
Since then, Menzgold has defaulted in the payments of returns to clients despite several promises to do so.
Clients have taken to the streets to protest and call for the government’s assistance.
However, institutions such as the central bank are indifferent about the calls of these customers because as far back as 2017, they warned the public not to transact business with the gold dealership firm because they were operating illegitimately.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Anas' key partner shot dead
- PHOTOS+VIDEO: Huge fire destroys Odawna Market
- PTA Council laments use of 'inexperienced' NABCo teachers for SHS
- Man secretly marries 3 women, gets them apartments in the same neighborhood
- Mystery of Easter Island's statues finally solved
- Raging fire consumes Nkrumah Circle market
- Political vigilantism: There will be an explosion in 2020 if... - Kofi Boakye
- Mahama-gay activist photo endorsed LGBT rights - NPP equalise over Menzgold
- UNHCR: Sustainably Supporting Refugees in Ghana
- 3 arrested for murdering 14-yr-old for ritual purposes
- Estate manager denies killer of GPHA manager came through gate
- Bosomtwe collapsed bridge hampering economic activities
- Infographic: How Menzgold crumbled to pieces
- Michel Camp explosions: Military will not relocate
- Gov’t advocates for more Forestry Commission resources