The caterer who allegedly served poor meals to pupils in the Kwadaso Municipality of the Ashanti region has been suspended, according to Coordinator for the National School Feeding Programme.
Dr Getrude Quashigah said the decision to take action against Asantewaa Khadija of Ohwimase Anglican Basic School, was reached following reports that the meals she served to the pupils were found to be below the standard.
Last Wednesday, May 29, some angry teachers of the school protested against the poor quality food the children are served.
The pupils angrily dumped the so-called poorly prepared lunch – rice balls with groundnut soup - into the dustbins to register their displeasure against Madam Khadija.
Watch the video
Management of the Ghana School Feeding Programme (GSFP) subsequently ordered her to step aside for investigations into the issue, Dr Quahigah told Myjoyonline in an interview. Another caterer has been assigned the responsibility to cook for the children in the affected school, the Coordinator added.
“For now we cannot just sack her based on the media report. All caterers signed contracts with school feeding and there are rules of engagement which ought to be followed.
“So what we have done now is that we have asked a new caterer to take over and produce the nutritious and healthy food for the kids until our checks on the conduct of Hajia Khadija are over, then we shall know the final action to take,” Dr Quashigah explained.
Dr Quahsigah who apologised to the children for such an unfortunate behaviour by the caterer emphasised that the management would not condone any such embarrassment from any caterer, as the Government seeks to revolutionise the Ghana School Feeding Programme.
Coordinator for the National School Feeding Programme, Dr. Gertrude Quashigah
She warned other caterers across the country to take a good lesson from the action taken against Hajia Khadija and refrain from going against the required school feeding standards set for all the caterers.
The Coordinator reaffirmed plans by the Ghana School Feeding Programme and its development partners to provide training for all the caterers across the country in order to sharpen their cooking skills.
She said the purpose of the school feeding is to feed the children with a nutritious meal that would prevent them from malnourishment, improve their health and mental alertness among others.
She said several measures were being taken to address the numerous challenges facing the caterers and the Programme for the benefit of the children.
Listen to her in the audio attached:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing
- Special Feature on 1V1D: Complaints by communities gov’t should not ignore
- Archbishop Porter Girls bundled out of NSMQ2019
- Anas exposes ‘pastor’ allegedly forcing orphan to eat own poop
- Hotline Documentary: Killing our roses (III) – The Aftermath
- NSMQ2019: Presec restores contest to factory setting after R1 loss
- Water tariff goes up by 8%
- NSMQ2019: Pope John get KSTS revenge to qualify for quarterfinals
- 4 Gov’t officials in road crash; 3 in critical condition
- Photos: Down but not out, the traffic lights that direct nobody
- Pepsodent Ghana supports SOS children village 2019 Founder's Day celebration
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, June 24, 2019
- Operation Vanguard arrests 15 Chinese linked to illegal mining
- ICT project for Zanlerigu JHS stalled due to lack of funds
- Woman receives $35 fine for 15 years old seat belt offence