Audio By Carbonatix
A video message has emerged in Nigeria purportedly featuring a suicide bomber alleged to have carried out the attack on the UN headquarters last month.
Islamist sect Boko Haram claimed the attack, in which 23 people were killed and more than 80 injured.
The authenticity of the video, obtained by AFP news agency, cannot be verified.
It shows the alleged bomber asking his family to understand his action, which he said was meant to send a message to the US president "and other infidels".
In the 26 August attack, the bomber drove his vehicle through the Abuja headquarters' two security barriers, then crashed into the reception area before detonating the explosives.
The blast was powerful enough to bring down parts of the structure, where about 400 UN personnel work, and blow out the windows of nearby buildings.
'International'
AFP said it had obtained two videos which included 25 minutes of speeches by the alleged UN bomber.
He is seen holding an AK-47 automatic rifle, with two other people leaning against the wall.
A man claiming to be a spokesman for the sect told AFP the alleged bomber was called Mohammed Abul Barra, a 27-year-old married man from the north-eastern city of Maiduguri.
The softly-spoken man wears a striped shirt, a turban and what looks to be a suicide vest, AFP reports.
Other passages in the videos refer to the UN headquarters as a "forum of all the global evil", and offer praise for Osama Bin Laden, the al-Qaeda leader killed by US special forces in Pakistan.
Nigerian officials have previously stated that a Boko Haram militant with alleged links to al-Qaeda was suspected of being behind the bombing.
Boko Haram is fighting for the establishment of Sharia law in Nigeria.
The group is alleged to have had contacts with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, which operates in North Africa, and al-Shabab in Somalia.
Loosely translated from the local Hausa language, Boko Haram means "Western education is forbidden".
For two years, the Islamist group has been targeting government and mounting a campaign of killings.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Kingsford Boakye-Yiadom nets first league goal for Everton U21 in Premier League 2
29 minutes -
We Condemn Publicly. We Download Privately — A Ghanaian Digital Dilemma
2 hours -
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
3 hours -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
3 hours -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
3 hours -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
4 hours -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
4 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
4 hours -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
4 hours -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
4 hours -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
4 hours -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
4 hours -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
4 hours -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
5 hours -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
5 hours
