Audio By Carbonatix
A Nigerian Fifa official has told the BBC he is not guilty of allegations that he offered to sell his vote in the contest to host the 2018 World Cup.
Amos Adamu told Farayi Mungazi of the BBC African Service that he welcomed the Fifa investigation into the claims.
Reporters from the Sunday Times posed as lobbyists for a consortium of US firms who wanted to bring the tournament to the United States.
Mr Adamu allegedly said he wanted cash to build pitches in Nigeria.
Tahiti's Reynald Temarii, president of the Oceania Football Confederation, is also alleged to have asked for a payment, in his case to finance a sports academy.
Mr Adamu and Mr Temarii, both members of Fifa's 24-man executive committee, were suspended by the organisation for 30 days on Wednesday.
"The [Fifa] ethics committee will investigate this and I am very happy about it because this will enable the whole world to know the truth of the matter," Mr Adamu told the BBC, speaking publicly on the issue for the first time.
"As far as I am concerned I am not guilty of what they are saying, but the ethics committee is credible and Fifa is a credible organisation. I am sure that the whole truth will come out. I welcome it."
Mr Adamu, who is also president of the West African Football Union, is said to have told the undercover reporters he wanted $800,000 (£500,000) to build the four artificial football pitches in Nigeria.
A 24-strong Fifa committee will decide by secret ballot on 2 December who should host the tournament.
Others suspended
Following a meeting of the ethics committee on Wednesday, four other FIFA officials - Tunisia's Slim Aloulou, Mali's Amadou Diakite, Botswana's Ismael Bhamjee and Tonga's Ahongalu Fusimalohi - were also provisionally suspended.
In Tunisia, the reaction has been surprise at allegations levelled against the previously respected and influential Mr Aloulou, a former Executive Committee member.
Mr Aloulou, who presided over the former Tunisian Football Federation (FTF) in the late 1970s and early 1980s, has yet to comment on the allegations.
However, some in Tunisia have questioned his involvement in the scandal.
"I know Aloulou very well and he can't do this," Abdelmajid Chetali, who led Tunisia at the 1978 World Cup under Mr Aloulou, told website Kapitalis.
"To be so fiercely attacked by certain media is unacceptable".
Mr Aloulou, a successful businessman, served on Fifa's Executive Committee from 1988 to 1994, before serving in varying commissions until his suspension.
He is also an executive committee member with the Confederation of African Football (Caf) and heads the ethics commission of the Arab football union (Uafa).
Credit: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
15 minutes -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
1 hour -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
2 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
2 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
3 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
3 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
4 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
4 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
4 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
5 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
5 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
5 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
5 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
5 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
5 hours