Audio By Carbonatix
Nike says US President Donald Trump's tariffs on key trading partners could add around $1bn (£730m) to its costs this year.
Company executives also said the sportswear giant would cut its reliance on producing goods in China to ease the impact of US trade policies.
Last month, Nike said it would raise prices on some trainers and clothing in the US from early June, weeks after rival Adidas warned it would have to hike the cost of goods due to tariffs.
Nike's shares jumped by more than 10% in extended trading after the firm forecast a smaller drop in first-quarter revenue than many analysts had expected.
The company's earnings for the last three months also topped estimates, despite being its worst quarterly figures for more than three years.
Nike announced fourth quarter revenue of $11.1bn - the lowest since the third quarter of 2022.
Chief financial officer Matthew Friend said Nike would move some production from China, which was hit with the biggest tariff increases, to other countries in response to Trump's tariffs.
China currently manufactures 16% of Nike footwear that ends up in the US. Mr Friend said that figure would be cut to a "high single-digit percentage range" by the end of May 2026.
Trump announced sweeping "Liberation Day" tariffs on most goods from countries around the world on 2 April.
Later that month, he suspended most of those tariffs to allow for talks with the affected countries, with one top adviser promising "90 deals in 90 days".
The move dropped tariffs to 10%, instead of the far higher rates that goods from many trading partners faced.
The White House is now facing growing questions about what the president is planning to do about tariffs, as the 90-day pause is due to expire on 9 July.
In remarks at the White House on Thursday, Trump maintained that talks were going well, pointing to an agreement reached with China and saying there was another "coming up with India, maybe".
But he also warned "We're not going to make deals with everybody".
"Some we're just going to send them a letter, say thank you very much. You're going to pay 25, 35, 45%. That's the easy way to do it," he said.
"My people don't want to do it that way. They want to do some of it, but they want to make more deals than I would do," he added.
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick later told Bloomberg that the agreement with China formalised terms laid out in trade talks, which included a commitment from Beijing to deliver rare earth minerals used in everything from planes to wind turbines.
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has previously raised the possibility that Trump could extend the deadline, depending on how talks are going.
On Thursday, White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said both that the deadline was "not critical" and that Trump was prepared to present countries with "deals" that would set new tariff rates.
The US and China announced an agreement earlier this month aimed at ensuring US supply to critical magnets and rare earths, after concerns about access had risked re-igniting trade tensions between the two economic superpowers.
At the White House on Thursday, Trump said he had "signed" a deal with China without giving further details. "The administration and China agreed to an additional understanding for a framework to implement the Geneva agreement," a White House official said later.
Trade between the two sides was nearly shut down after Trump raised tariffs and China hit back in a barrage of tariffs in April that had nearly shut down trade between the two countries.
The US and China subsequently agreed to reduce - but not eliminate - those tariffs.
Latest Stories
-
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
1 minute -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
24 minutes -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
26 minutes -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
29 minutes -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
52 minutes -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
1 hour -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
1 hour -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
2 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
2 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
2 hours -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
2 hours -
Armwrestling – Prisons Boss Baffoe-Bonnie hosts officers to a luncheon
2 hours -
GH¢10bn still unpaid as Mahama misses promise to locked-up fund victims
2 hours -
Socrate Safo Speaks: When Battles come in Winter, a lesson from Prophet Badu Kobi’s predicament
2 hours -
Samuel Jinapor raises concerns over Abronye DC’s continued detention, warns against ‘culture of silence’
3 hours