This year’s National Open Chess Championship would be played at the Media Centre of the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in Accra on Monday, September 21.
The Secretary-General of the Ghana Chess Association, Mr Eddie Thompson, who announced this in Accra on Wednesday, said the one-day competition which would be played over the six round Swiss system, forms part of the activities marking the centenary celebrations of the birthday of Dr Kwame Nkrumah, Ghana’s First President.
He said about 200 competitors throughout the country are expected to participate in the competition which would be sponsored by Insurance Consultancies International.
Mr Thompson said the competition is also aimed at reviving the game, which is gradually dying due to lack of sponsorship and participation.
The Secretary General said Kojo Hasford, the current champion and Sekou Nkrumah; one of the sons of the former President would take part in the competition.
Mr Thompson appealed to corporate bodies and institutions to help the Association in its promotion and developmental efforts to attract the youth to participate in the sport.
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- We need a national discussion on how to make Ghana’s debt sustainable – Ato Forson
- Morocco issues first cannabis production permits
- Ukraine’s uphill battle to gain Africa’s support
- Victims of human trafficking need adequate information on the issue – Media consultant
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable -Dr. Acheampong
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Scientists, policy makers to benefit from KNUST’s Building Stronger Universities project
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line in the sea for 9 years
- We are determined to build trustworthy and robust institutions – Chief Justice assures
- B. A. Mensah: Ghanaians are about to get a break from the fuel crisis
- Playback: PM Express discusses Ghana’s unsustainable debt levels and impact on IMF negotiations
- I will deal with government officials found complicit in galamsey activities – Akufo-Addo
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu, Bessa Simons, Spiky, others confirmed as speakers for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Nigerian singer Asa threatens Joeboy with copyright lawsuit, demands ₦300m