Former Black Stars midfielder Derek Boateng believes that the late Cecil Jones Attuquayefio is the best ever Ghanaian coach.
Jones had an impressive career as a manager, winning the CAF Champions League with Hearts of Oak in 2000, one trophy in a historic treble campaign. He also clinched the CAF Confederation Cup trophy with the Accra-based outfit after beating bitter rivals Asante Kotoko in 2004.
He managed the Ghana national team in the youth and senior team levels. The former Great Olympics footballer trained Derek Boateng and his teammates at the U-17 national level for the World Youth Championships in 1999. The team under his guidance earned the bronze medal.
He died in May 2015 after suffering a throat cancer.
In an interview on the Joy Sports Link on Saturday, Derek, 37, noted that Attuquayefio’s teachings were replicated by foreign coaches.
“Every player knows, all my colleagues know that whatever Jones shows us during our time in the team, whenever we go to Europe, we see the same things being done by the white coaches. So for me, he is the best coach,” he told Nathaniel Attoh.
Boateng played for several clubs across Europe including Fulham, Eibar and Rayo Vallecano during his career. He made 47 appearances for the senior national team and scored one goal.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- The Weeknd named world’s Most Popular Artist by Guinness World Records
- Don’t approve 5% tax on beverages, widen tax net – Food and Beverage Association tells government
- AG Dame dialogues with UK Deputy PM over criminal justice reform
- Immigration fuels Canada’s largest population growth of over 1 million
- Walking barefoot improves menstrual flow, eyesight, sleep, hypertension, pain, and inflammation
- Jay Bahd is bigger than the ‘Best New Artist’ category – DJ Slim
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady divorce was ‘death of my dream’
- Akufo-Addo’s appointments of NPP activists to EC require amendment of Article 43 – Mahama
- ICC concerned by Russia’s ‘threats’ over Putin warrant
- Why is everyone wearing these cartoonish red boots?
- Ken Ofori-Atta leads delegation to start debt restructuring talks with China
- BBC advises staff to delete TikTok from work phones
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Explicitly state your opposition to scrapping of ex-gratia – Mahama tells NPP