Audio By Carbonatix
Victor Kwadjoga Adawudu, counsel for five of the 10 persons being tried for treason, has told the High Court that nobody was prohibited from discussing coup d'etats on social media.
He said Ghana's political history had had six military takeovers; thus, the word coup d'etats and overthrow was not prohibited.
He was cross-examining Colonel Isaac Amponsah, the first prosecution witness after his evidence-in-chief in the ongoing trial.
Colonel Amponsah said it depended on the context in which such discussion was made.
He added that in their context, it was subversive because they discussed how to capture the President, vice president, Chief Justice, Speaker of Parliament by making explosive devices laced with sedative chemicals and gases that, when released, would make them fall asleep for easy capture.
You also go ahead to recruit soldiers to carry out the act. It's not an ordinary social media platform to discuss National issues, he emphasised.
There were professionals including lawyers, judges, police and military officers, and ordinary people on the Take Action Ghana (TAG) WhatsApp platform, Mr Adawudu put it to Colonel Amponsah.
Mr Adawudu said the accused persons had a WhatsApp platform where they discussed varied issues, stating nothing unlawful about discussing national issues on that platform. Still, the witness said it was a facade.
The lawyer disagreed and said the mission of Take Action Ghana (TAG) platform, was to mobilise the youth in nation-building, provision of education, health, and shelter to the needy.
TAG went to Otareso in the Eastern Region, among other areas, on a medical outreach; however, Colonel Amponsah said all those activities were to gain mass support akin to the insurgency.
Counsel told the prosecution witness that demonstrations and protests were allowed in Ghana. They are fundamental human rights guaranteed in the constitution; therefore, it was not out of place for the accused persons to plan one; Colonel Amponsah said it was true.
He suggested that the security agencies were afraid that TAG was mobilising people to demonstrate against the government and feared the Arab spring situation that was why they arrested the accused persons, but the witness answered no.
"You arrested accused to suppress their fundamental human rights and freedom and also to gag the members and citizens to criticize government," Mr Adawudu asked the witness and he said they did not have the capability to do that.
Asked whether he knew that funding came from members contributions, Colonel Amponsah said Dr Frederick Mac Palm had earlier informed a security Operative that infiltrated their camp that Mac Palm was footing all the bills and that there was a time he wanted to use his car as collateral to take a loan but he was denied because BNI was investigating the car at DVLA.
Dr Frederick Mac Palm, Donyo Kafui alias Ezor, Bright Allan Debrah Yeboah, Lance Corporal Sylvester Akankpewu and Lance Corporal Ali Solomon, Jahannes Zipki, Warrant Officer Class Two (WOII) Esther Saan, Colonel Samuel Kojo Gameli, ACP Benjamin Korsi Agordzo are facing charges such as conspiracy to commit treason, treason, abetment and possession of weapons without authority.
They have all denied the charges and are on bail being tried by a three-panel of judges: Justice George Oppong, Justice Hafsata Amaleboba and presided over by Justice Afia Serwaa Asare-Botwe.
The trial has been adjourned to, Monday, June 21, 2021, for the case management conference.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
3 minutes -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
14 minutes -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
17 minutes -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
32 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
39 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
44 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
50 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
1 hour -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
1 hour -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
1 hour -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
1 hour -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
2 hours -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
2 hours -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
2 hours -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
2 hours