A Koforidua Circuit Court has sentenced a 45-year-old unemployed man to five years imprisonment in hard labour for defrauding over 40 people.
The convict, Edmond Nii Ansah, popularly known as Abi Nii was convicted for 4 counts of defrauding by false pretences.
He was found guilty and sentenced to 5 years on each count.
The Prosecutor, Helen Samlafo told the court presided over by Justice Mercy Adei Kotei that the complaints are mainly university graduates and some government workers.
She said the convict duped his victims after promising to secure them public sector jobs.
The State Attorney revealed that Abi Nii collected money from graduates under the guise of facilitating their recruitment into the Police Service, the Ghana Armed Forces, and other State institutions.
He is said to be a polling station Executive Member of the New Patriotic Party in the New Juaben South constituency.
Initially, he was charged with 11 counts but was acquitted and discharged on 7 counts because the prosecution could not get complainants to testify.
The Judge in her ruling said the sentence is to run concurrently.
- 5 feared dead, 15 injured in accident on Accra-Tema motorway
- #FixTheCountry agitators have no leaders – Barker-Vormawor
- Blunt and Blay: Finding ‘silence’ for Auntie Ohene from uncle Sam’s ‘noise’
- Wesley Girls’ SHS ‘no fasting” policy, strictly for health reasons – Old students
- Woman allegedly murders elder sister over a piece of land
- Over 200 police personnel deployed to enforce mining directives across Ghana
- Ghana’s 4x100m men’s relay team set to pitch camp in Europe ahead of Olympics
- Claims of fasting affecting health unfounded – Islamic Medical Association, Ghana
- Trader jailed for impregnating his physically challenged daughter
- Far from silence, we suffer a culture of noise – Elizabeth Ohene
#FixTheCountry: Ghana has all markings of a failed state; our job as politicians is to – Sam George
Our job is to fix problems; we are fixing them – Bawumia
NDC has no hand in the #FixTheCountry campaign – Sam George
AIDS continues to be a threat to society – Dr Ayisi Addo
Timing of introduction of petroleum levies poor and may worsen businesses – ACEP
Retirement hell: BBC Africa Eye uncovers corruption in pension systems
National Road Safety Authority hires 100 inspectors to enforce compliance with rules
AshantiGold part ways with head coach Romain Folz
Senior Staff Association of Universities of Ghana to resume strike on May 18
Angela Kyerematen-Jimoh: Supporting the women who fuel Africa’s future
Madrid Open: Ashleigh Barty beats Paula Badosa to reach final
Asantehene lauds State Housing Company on efforts to reduce housing deficit
U.S. Ambassador launches $19m activity to boost Agriculture Finance in Ghana under Global Food Security Strategy
Sparrow Pictures introduces all new Sparrow Station apps
Collective efforts needed to fight galamsey – Kwadaso MP