Audio By Carbonatix
A failed parliamentary aspirant of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) is seething with anger following threats by the party to dismiss him if he stood as an independent candidate.
Thomas Adongo who lost the Ashaiman constituency primaries said the party can do its worse because he will not rescind his decision to go indrependent.
"I am not begging to be a member of the party. NPP doesn't feed me. The party is not paying me to contest as an MP," angry Adongo told Joy News' Evans Mensah.
He was responding to threats by the party's General Secretary Kwabena Agyapong that aggrieved aspirants who go independent will lose their party membership.
Last Saturday's parliamentary primary recorded some shocking defeats and fascinating victories.
While some defeated candidates accepted the results and pledged to work together for the party to win political power others said the polls had been rigged.
Thomas Adongo lost the primary to Alhaji Labaran Yakubu Barry, a mechanical engineer but believes there were serious breaches.
Describing it as a stolen verdict, Mr Adongo threatened to go to court or go as an independent candidate in the 2016 elections.
At a press conference in Accra, Tuesday the NPP General Secretary Kwabena Agyepong said the aggrieved aspirants should "use appropriate measures to seek redress or lose the NPP membership" if they go independent.
"People must respect their own undertaking," he said, adding, all aspirants signed to accept the results and stay within the party.
"If you decide to go independent you forfeit your membership," he warned.
But Adongo has not taken kindly to the threat. "This empty threat will not move me. Some of us are ever ready to leave," he said.
"The party is digging a big grave," he fired back, adding it will fall into its own grave.
Latest Stories
-
CSR must be measurable commitment, not a gesture of convenience – Ga Mantse tells mining companies
5 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
20 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
41 minutes -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
50 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
51 minutes -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
51 minutes -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
53 minutes -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
53 minutes -
‘A mine may close, but the community must not’ – Ga Mantse calls for sustainable mining
55 minutes -
UG Pro VC calls for an integrated risk management approach to tackle Ghana’s perennial flooding
1 hour -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
1 hour -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
1 hour -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
1 hour -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
1 hour -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
1 hour